Options

Windows XP "MOUSE" Problem

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have an interesting problem with a Win XP box. The other day while I was using it we had a brief power failure. Unfortunately, I did not have a UPS on the machine at that time.

After, I rebooted the now powered off computer, I could no longer right click on anything for any reason and when I go to double click on the desktop or anywhere else to open an application it does not open but it creates a drop down box with the top selection being OPEN.

I tried reinstalling the mouse driver even though I did not think that was the problem. I still have the problem. I suspect a .dll file or the like must have gotten corrupted but not sure exactly where to look.

I tried doing a system restore and it made no difference. Has anyone seen this before and if so do you have any suggestions short of reimaging the entire machine? Everything else seems to be working fine.

I appreciate your input!! icon_wink.gif
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Silly question but have you tested the mouse itself?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was wondering that also. USB/PS2? Try a different USB port if the former, and if the latter try a different mouse or PS2 to USB converter.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Yes, I should have been more specific. I of course tried all that too. One thing that is interesting is that I keep receiving a Norton Antivirus program error message now that I never got before.

Knowing that Norton takes over your entire box, I wonder if something in there might have gotten corrupt and in turn is messing up the machine. It is more than just the mouse issue because now programs that I have openened sometimes lock up and even a restart sometimes does not work...

It is starting to look like nuke the machine time. Maybe I will try an uninstall of Norton for kicks and see if any change... Oh USB mouse.........sorry

Thanks,

oh one other thing, when setting up a new DC on a new domain are there any pros or cons to naming the internal domain xxxxx.com versus xxxxx.local?

I see it done both ways but was curious what most people choose? Along with appropriate server naming conventions.

Thanks icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like your left and right click got switched
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    in more ways than one!

well I will take a look at that but I think it might be more than just that based upon what is going on...

nope that was not it at all. Something more fundamental is going on here.....

Well darn! it was the mouse. It apparently had some weird intermittent. I found another wireless mouse hanging around here and threw it in and voila all is back to normal except for my trashed Norton which I reinstalled...

Thanks all now I can get back to more important things like studying! icon_wink.gif

Sometimes you need to concentrate on the simple stuff! :)