Options

Linux and Open Source Discussion the future?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys thought I would start this thread :)

I have made the switch from Micorosft windows i'm 22 years old and have been using windows since the 3.1 days

I was introduced to Linux as part of my new job role to which my response at the time was

" Linux what the hell is Linux?"

So after having had a year to get to grips with the so called basics of the O/S and having sampled many distributions of Linux including Ubuntu, DSL, Debian, Red Hat. And having numerous tales of hosing systems!

I am now at the stage where I use Linux on a daily basis and it's a enjoyable experience.

This is not to say that i am going to suddenly hate on Microsoft's product because I belive they both have there strong points.

The question I propose is where do you see the Market heading?

Do you think Windows will eventually go the open source way and Mr Gates will release he's code for windows but still charge people to use Server editions similar to Red Hat and Fedora?

And is Linux really ready for the desktop can it work in a user environment of windows users?

Your thoughts most welcome!
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    And is Linux really ready for the desktop can it work in a user environment of windows users?

I think it is getting there, Dell is selling computers for consumers with the option of getting Ubuntu instead of Windows Vista. I think Ubuntu is a good Desktop linux distro, there are a couple of area's that are clunky like joining Ubuntu to a domain and connecting to an Exchange server for email for example. But I think if some things in Ubuntu get polished it has potential.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I agree Ubuntu is a good O/S but can be pretty daunting for a newbie as some aspects of configuration have to done through the CLI and if you do not have the expereince this can be frustrating!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Chances are, Microsoft's open-source strategy will take the form of supporting .NET applications on Mono, particularly those running on SuSE/Novell's products. The reason for this is that Microsoft and Novell have finally agreed to stop suing each other, and begin working on some interoperability projects, as Wal-Mart is now seeing first-hand.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.