Options

Third-party systemboard on OEM computer

endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've got another question stumping me.

A co-worker of mine recently had her e-Machine die on her. The PSU and the systemboard are both hosed (a least - the CPU and RAM may also be gone as well). The computer's a couple of years old, so I was going to get an inexpensive third-party replacement. However, since I'm replacing the systemboard, I'll most likely need to do an install-in-place of XP Home. Unfortunately, all I have are the e-Machines restore discs, and they require that the systemboard be able to identify itself as an e-Machines. Since this won't be the case (due to the third party systemboard), do I have any options besides buying a genuine replacement part from e-Machines for $200 (geez) or a new copy of XP Home? Any advice? Thanks guys! You all are the best!
"We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is just my opinion but since the computer is a couple of years old, the powersupply, motherboard, and possibly CPU and RAM are dead, and this computer is an e-machine, I would recommend getting another computer instead.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I considered that. However, I did a worst-case scenario price estimate (replacing PSU, Mobo, CPU, RAM) and it was only about $140. My co-worker doesn't do anything heavy-duty on her computer, so this looked like a better deal than to get a new computer altogether. But it is looking to be the easiest solution, so I'm still considering it. Thanks for your thoughts. :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You also have to consider the time you would put into it. And the lack of a guarantee that something else in her system won't die two weeks later. You can get a new barebone system pretty cheap these days.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    You have a good point.

Although, if the worst case scenario is the case (replace PSU/Mobo/CPU/RAM), there's not a whole lot left that can go bad, except the HD. :) But I agree with you. I may end up just recommending that.

Does anyone have an idea about actually trying to replace the mobo, just for contrast?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    You also have to consider the time you would put into it. And the lack of a guarantee that something else in her system won't die two weeks later. You can get a new barebone system pretty cheap these days.

Ironically, Im building a inexpensive PC (yet suprisingly powerful) from the ground up for my wife, and ive been pricing stuff out around $400 for EVERYTHING. Thats not so bad for a dual core setup!!!

And these are brands/parts I trust (tested in "the field" so to speak). Better quality than Dell or HP boxes you would order, IMO.

Not sure what your budget is, but I know you can make an even less expensive PC. I had some costly requirements that I couldnt ignore. If these requirements werent needed, It would drop the price down to about $250-$300
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I saw a DC Pentium processor on NewEgg for $59 this weekend. You can get a board for $50-60, 1GB of RAM (depending on speed) for anywhere from $50 to 100, and a case for less than $25.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    I saw a DC Pentium processor on NewEgg for $59 this weekend. You can get a board for $50-60, 1GB of RAM (depending on speed) for anywhere from $50 to 100, and a case for less than $25.

ditto

dont forget the DVD burner for around $30 (nec/sony OEM BABY!!!)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Yeah, I've built those $400 PCs before. The problem is, this lady doesn't want to pay for a new computer unless absolutely necessary. Essentially, she was doing fine with her old computer and wants to pay the least possible cost to get up and running again.

I've gone ahead and ordered the systemboard and PSU (it ended up being only $80). That fixed the problem that was causing the computer to not boot at all, so the hardware part is better. Now I'll need to figure out how to get Windows working with the new hardware and still use the e-machines product key. What I'm thinking of doing is installing (but not activating) a generic OEM copy of XP Home and then doing a registry hack to change the product key to the e-machines and attempt activation. I'm sure I'll need to phone Microsoft, but I'm hoping that there's enough flexibility that I can get this to work (although I believe that a new systemboard qualifies as a "new computer", in which case the e-machines license shouldn't really apply due to the EULA - oh well).