Options

Wireless Solution

remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
I have been awarded the task of coming up with a wireless solution for our company. We have around 300 users. We are looking for authentication, a centralized management, encryption, support for VLANs and future support of the N standard. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    So far I am researching Foundry Ironpoint 200 WAP and the Xirrus product.
  • Options
    Anyone....Bueller.....Bueller?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not an expert in this area by any means but I would recommend checking into Cisco wireless equipment. We use those where I work and they seem to work pretty good.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Cisco makes some great wifi products.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco makes some great wifi products.

what, you dont think thier linksys WAP could handle these requirements? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I would recommend 3Com® Unified Gigabit Wireless PoE Switch 24, this is the equipement that I'm currently trialling wireless with at my place. They work with 2 type of access points, but I would recommend using the higher spec ones, the 8760's.

While it would be nice to have N standard equipement, I would actually wait until the N standard has been released. Currently only a draft version of N is available, it is estimated that the final release will be released in Sept 2008, there have already been articles stating potential problems with jumping on the band-wagon and purchasing draft-N (the current N) based equipement. See here for example:
    Instead of products based on a final standard--which should appear by early 2008 and will be Wi-Fi Alliance-certified for interoperability--what we have now is a flood of "draft" 802.11n products based on a preliminary and incomplete version of the standard. These products might be--but are not guaranteed to be--firmware upgradable to the final spec.

Well this is my advise:

Either go with the current A/B/G technology now or wait until next year, when the prices have drop alot, and go with N. Don't be persuaded to buy draft-N equipement that isn't guaranteed to be fully compliant with N or you may find you've wasted a lot of money and time :) but that's just my opinion.

-Ken
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
    Does anyone else have any more suggestions they want to add. The more the merrier :)