Options

Junk email flowing into Inbox and not Junk E-mail. (Outlook)

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
My supervisor gets hundreds of junk email a day and for some reason, even with the junk email rules in place (safe recipients only) he still gets them like every five minutes. Now his Inbox has like 2000 unread mail that is mixed in with his good mail and they are all from different senders.

Yes, you could go in and filter each one individually, but that is not what I am trying to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I reinstalled and deleted profiles, but it still did not work. We are running Outlook 2003 and are connected to an outside exchange server. (1and1.com)

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    If its possible i would try to apply some type of filtering such as spam assasin.
  • Options
    Are there any other 3rd party spam filters and are they compatible with Outlook 2003 and Windows XP Professional? This is very frustrating and my supervisor is just as aggravated as I am. (hopefully not at me for not being able to solve it) icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    These emails are getting by your ISP's spam filter? Are any of these spam emails trigging your anti-virus or Spyware scanners? If your ISP doesn't adequately clean your email, you should look at a security gateway product that filters email for spam and Malware attachments. Something like what they have at Astaro ( www.astaro.com) might be your best solution.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1&1 offers spam filtering for mailboxes, but you might have to enable it manually through the 1&1 control panel.

https://admin.1and1.com

I have mine set to medium and get maybe a dozen a day or less so setting it to high might help. However, I am using a linux server, not Exchange, so I don't know what your particular package offers. A last resort would be to change his email address.

Do you know why he is receiving so much spam? Is his email address posted on a website where spambots can pick it up? If so, consider using a CGI script for people to contact him via email on the website.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    For everyone else, email is filtered into the Junk email folder. But for some reason, it never/rarely goes into his junk email and just goes into the inbox. I've been looking for solutions all night and have tried different things from home (accessing his email via outlook web access) and applied junk email rules and senders lists but I still get spam into the inbox.

I'm going to get fired... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Have you called 1&1 support? Sounds like something might be broken on their end. Good luck.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    the problem clearly lies on the spam filtering of the exchange server.
  • Options
    But, why would it only affect his email and not anyone elses? Would it not affect others that were on the same server?
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Have you called 1&1 support? Sounds like something might be broken on their end. Good luck.

The Junk email setting was disabled under his account so I enabled it. But I also checked other email accounts, like mine and they were disabled too but junk email was still being filtered. And for some reason he still gets junk in his inbox! He has like hundreds of blocked sender, safe recipients, etc lists. What the hell is going on?! I've called other support lines and they have no idea. We're both getting REALLY aggrivated. I'm thinking of just changing his email address, saving his safe recipients lists and starting over, but he would have to give out his new email to hundreds of people.
  • Options
    Microsoft released a junk mail filter update the other day (or maybe 4-5 days ago). Have you installed that?
  • Options
    I've installed this one: Junk E-mail Filter (KB93470icon_cool.gif dated on 5/8/2007.

I also found out after looking on outlook web access that he has a rule, that isn't on other user's email that is labeled Spam Rule Symantec. Could that be a problem? I installed Outlook 2003 onto another system adding his profile and I still get junk in the inbox.

I have a feeling that extra rule I found on there could be the problem, but I cannot change it. It says that this rule cannot be modified by Outlook Web Access. Could this be the case?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    honestly, I would have to be there, it could be a million things. What good is the spam filter on the outlook without a pre-set key word tag generated by the exchange server (ie SPAM)? Also make sure his default email domain or reply addy is added as a search in your exchange spam filter. The spam filter is just another folder, it only does what its told