Server 2008

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I just got Server 2008 beta 3 in the post, has anyone seen this yet

Does it have the wow factor like Vista

Lee H

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Yep, installed the full version (there are 2 versions core and full) on a test server at work. Looks and feels alot like Vista.

-Ken
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Looks and feels alot like Vista.
    does that mean i won't be able to run it on the 866MHz (256 mb of ram) server that i run sever 03 on?

crap.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anymore feedback about this product?

What is the operation requirement for this svr?
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/audsel.mspx for the info you'll need, if it's not on that page, there are other links on the page to more info.

Component Requirement

Processor
    Minimum: 1GHz
    Recommended: 2GHz
    Optimal: 3GHz or faster

Note: An Intel Itanium 2 processor is required for Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems

Memory
    Minimum: 512MB RAM
    Recommended: 1GB RAM
    Optimal: 2GB RAM (Full installation) or 1GB RAM (Server Core installation) or more
    Maximum (32-bit systems): 4GB (Standard) or 64GB (Enterprise and Datacenter)
    Maximum (64-bit systems): 32GB (Standard) or 2TB (Enterprise, Datacenter and Itanium-based Systems)

Hard Disk
    Minimum: 8GB
    Recommended: 40GB (Full installation) or 10GB (Server Core installation)
    Optimal: 80GB (Full installation) or 40GB (Server Core installation) or more

Note: Computers with more than 16GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and **** files

Drive
    DVD-ROM drive

Display
    Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution monitor

Other
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

So Darthn3ss, I don't think so icon_lol.gif

-Ken
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    does that mean i won't be able to run it on the 866MHz (256 mb of ram) server that i run sever 03 on?

crap.

That is correct.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    well im fine upgrading when it comes time.

for some reason i was thinking it was going to need a good graphics card or some crap.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    for some reason i was thinking it was going to need a good graphics card or some crap.

Only if you want to play some Quake on your Domain Controller.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NinjaBoy wrote:

-Ken

Won't be going onto any of my production servers in the next 3 or 4 years then icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I installed a previous beta a while back, then it was a vista like interface without all the eye candy crap.

The server core is where I see the strength, there isn't even a GUI installed if you use that feature, only the bits necessary for the role you install to function.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    crap, i have few servers running slightly behind 1ghz....crap....

all my boxes are customed built

DC = intel dual p3 733mhz 3gb ram, ultra 320 raid 5
    ISA = intel p3 933mhz 512mb ram SATA
    exchange = intel p3 1ghz 512mb ram SATA

crap, i still love my boxes.....damn.....

i guess i wont upgrade those boxes to 2008 near soon.....no consider, no budget, no fun rebuilding all machines AT ALL....

crap.... icon_evil.gif
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    The server core is where I see the strength, there isn't even a GUI installed if you use that feature, only the bits necessary for the role you install to function.
    Now THAT is something I can appreciate. Hopefully if it is built that way you wont have to screw around with all those danged wizards icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    PowerGUI could well be the one tool to keep all the power of the GUI in a MMC-like console, while keeping Server 2008 secure. It's one to keep an eye on I think.
    http://dmitrysotnikov.wordpress.com/
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whoa those specs seem a bit high

I currently have a debian server setup using webmin it's a Web server, FTP and File server and it has the active directory type stuff using LDAP and I also have Samba up and running

Lol and it's a 500Mhz box it does the job though!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    ally_uk wrote:
    whoa those specs seem a bit high

I currently have a debian server setup using webmin it's a Web server, FTP and File server and it has the active directory type stuff using LDAP and I also have Samba up and running

Lol and it's a 500Mhz box it does the job though!
    Not much use for a Server 2008/Exchange 2007 MCTS/MCITP lab though icon_wink.gif
    True although I personally belive Microsoft products are overpriced junk but hey each to there own

Linux does the same thing better it's more secure and it's reliability far outweights Windows and the bonus is I do not have to ponce around installing numerous service packs and fixes because the underlying product is a pile of poo

The Vista Wow will be changed to Windows Pop - Pile of poo icon_lol.gif
    Well if Microsoft actually implement something useful in Server 2008 and improve upon the time it actually takes to setup and deploy a server then i'm all for it.

As for the general maintaining aspect of the whole Windows environment yeah it's a hassle and i'm sick to death of setting up a windows box only to then have to load service packs and bug fixes.

I can get a Debian server up and running in less than 2 hours and with half the hardware requirements of a windows machine plus it's a hell of alot more reliable and secure.

I use to like windows but with Vista I don't see any innovation it's all eye candy and a resource hog I belive open source is where the computer industry is heading and your be seeing alot more of it in the near future.

Hell I even think oneday Microsoft will open source there code at least then somebody can actually make a decent and stable O/S and remove the crappy security risks such as Active X lol

my 2 cents :0

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    True although I personally belive Microsoft products are overpriced junk but hey each to there own

Linux does the same thing better it's more secure and it's reliability far outweights Windows and the bonus is I do not have to ponce around installing numerous service packs and fixes because the underlying product is a pile of poo

Let's not start an OS flame war. You'll be surprised how hard it is to defend your statements when you have to do it with facts and not rhetoric. icon_wink.gif
    You're about 7 years behind if you think otherwise. Don't get me wrong - Linux is great (and Unix/BSD) but you're not up against W95/98 anymore. Both Windows and Linux are great OS's, each with their own strengths, advantages and weaknesses.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Well if Microsoft actually implement something useful in Server 2008 and improve upon the time it actually takes to setup and deploy a server then i'm all for it.

I installed 2008 Server on a computer last week and the install was fast. It was on the order of 20-25 minutes. I also installed 2000 Server on the same computer and that was well over an hour just to do the install.

I think 2008 has some promise and I am looking forward to playing around with the Core side next.