Options

Users Workstation

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I need to find a way whereby whatever changes a user makes to their machine, when they log back in it reverts back to a default setup, i know Mandatory profiles will do this but the users install software as well and i dont any software that the user installs on the machine. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The only way to do that, would be to use mandatory profiles, as you said, as well as use Group Policy to prevent the users from installing the software to begin with.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    for an users you would like to eliminate installs you could push out a policy like slowhand said, as well as applications like deep freeze where the PC will revert back after a reboot, only way to install something is to disable the service.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Deepfreeze came to my mind as well, you might want to check it out.
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    never heard of deep freeze, i`ll check it out, i was toying with the idea of using vmware player but still trying to figure that one out.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    theseman wrote:
    Deepfreeze came to my mind as well, you might want to check it out.

deepfreeze works really well. we use it on our kiosks combined with group policies, the machines are locked down real tight. they use deep freeze at the comm. college i go to and it works great for them as well. all changes made to the pc are undone on the next reboot, so we schedule a nightly reboot to each of these machines.

but if you're on a budget gpo's combined w/ mandatory profiles should do the trick. never used man. profiles, w/ the exception of in my mcse studies tho.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take away their Admin rights
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...