Options

Passed 70-272, New MCDST

tomtechtomtech Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just passed 272 less than a hour ago with a score of 918.

In my opinion, 272 was A LOT easier than 271 (I scored 800). I also spent less time studying for it.

Resources used:

Sybex MCDST Deluxe (Read 272 section once)
Examcram 2 (Read 272 book once)
MS Press book (skimmed through the chapter summaries)
Practice tests (Used the 3 Transcender tests, scored 72%, 78%, and 78%)

On 272, I got a lot of questions about file permissions, remote desktop, Outlook Express/Internet Explorer, and SP2 Firewall (ICF).

My next exam is 70-270. I'm hoping to get that done soon.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Very cool, congratulations on the passing score, and on your MCDST cert. Are you going to do the 70-270 exam just for the sake of it, or are you planning on doing MCSA/MCSE?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Yep, I'm doing MCSA/MCSE. I'm also going to take the MCDST upgrade exam to MCITP (70-621).

A lot of exams left to do :D
  • Options
    Something to think about is possibly doing the 70-620 (Vista) exam for your client operating system exam, since both the MCSA and MCSE have it listed as a valid exam, along with both the XP Professional and Windows 2000 Professional exams. The upside of doing the 70-270 exam is that you have all the XP knowledge fresh in your brain from 70-271 and 70-272. The upside of doing the 70-620 exam is that, not only is it valid for MCSA/MCSE as a desktop exam, it is also applicable towards the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator track. Also, I'm sure you'll be seeing lots of Vista stuff on the 70-621 exam as well, so it'll all play together. Something to think about, while you're basking in the glow of passing your recent tests.

• Options
    TrigunTrigun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude, all the best for 290!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Slowhand. I checked the MS site to find out more about what you said.

So 70-620 satisfies both the client exam AND elective for the MCSE? It also gives credit for the server 2008 track.

It seems like I should just take 70-620 and not bother with 70-270. Then I would take 290 and 291 to get my MCSA, and 621 for my MCDST upgrade.
  • Options
    You can use the exam for either the operating system exam or the elective, but not both. However, since you already have MCDST, that gives you your elective for MCSA. For the MCSE, you'd need another Microsoft exam or Security+.

• Options
    Ah I see. Thanks again for clearing that up.

It looks like I still need 70-270 if I want the easiest route. Or I could take Security+ and get that extra cert. Hmm...