Options

Cisco on Security+

matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
I know that the Security+ is vendor neutral and thus will encompass various network architectures and NOS's. However, I was running through some Transcender questions and noticed that there were several Cisco questions regarding the Cisco PIX firewall. I have come across questions regarding the MAC address (00-00-0C), Unicast RPF (Reverse Path Forwarding), and Frag Guard. Has anyone else come across questions like these whilst they were studying?

From Security+ book by Sybex:
"One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope and questions like that will not be on the test.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    matradley wrote:
    I know that the Security+ is vendor neutral and thus will encompass various network architectures and NOS's. However, I was running through some Transcender questions and noticed that there were sever Cisco questions regarding the Cisco PIX firewall. I have come across questions regarding the MAC address (00-00-0C), Unicast RPF (Reverse Path Forwarding), and Frag Guard. Has anyone else come across questions like these whislt they were studying?

I have!! My Transcender questions had some oddball cisco questions. But recently, I got a slew of linux specific questions I had no clue about...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:
    matradley wrote:
    I know that the Security+ is vendor neutral and thus will encompass various network architectures and NOS's. However, I was running through some Transcender questions and noticed that there were sever Cisco questions regarding the Cisco PIX firewall. I have come across questions regarding the MAC address (00-00-0C), Unicast RPF (Reverse Path Forwarding), and Frag Guard. Has anyone else come across questions like these whislt they were studying?

I have!! My Transcender questions had some oddball cisco questions. But recently, I got a slew of linux specific questions I had no clue about...
    I think that Transcender must like to beat the client silly! :D I don't mind the Unix/Linux/Solaris questions. Most of them make sense. :)
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    matradley wrote:
    I think that Transcender must like to beat the client silly! :D I don't mind the Unix/Linux/Solaris questions. Most of them make sense. :)

yea I think the same way. However, and im sure you agree, Id rather it beat me silly on the practice exams than the actual exam. And the only reason I was upset about the Linux questions is that im not really familiar with Linux....yet. icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    snadam wrote:
    matradley wrote:

yea I think the same way. However, and im sure you agree, Id rather it beat me silly on the practice exams than the actual exam. And the only reason I was upset about the Linux questions is that im not really familiar with Linux....yet. icon_cool.gif
    Uh oh.. I think it is time to download a distribution. ;)
  • Options
    matradley wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    matradley wrote:

Uh oh.. I think it is time to download a distribution. ;)

I have my focus on Sec+ and Microsoft for now, so maybe in 08 ill tackle linux :)

• Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291

Ditto. Don't sweat it.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    Not to be redundant....But taking the transcender exams, I noticed a large amount of detailed linux/unix questions; more specifically where certain files are and syntax stuff. Im not really strong in linux, as was wondering if this is something I should be studying for in prep for the sec+ exam?

FYI, I checked the exam objectives and there is no detailed objectives for linux/unix, or any specific type for that matter (thats vendor neutral for ya!)

If im violating any NDA guidelines here, i apologize and will remove my post

thanks!

• Options
    snadam wrote:
    Not to be redundant....But taking the transcender exams, I noticed a large amount of detailed linux/unix questions; more specifically where certain files are and syntax stuff. Im not really strong in linux, as was wondering if this is something I should be studying for in prep for the sec+ exam?

FYI, I checked the exam objectives and there is no detailed objectives for linux/unix, or any specific type for that matter (thats vendor neutral for ya!)

If im violating any NDA guidelines here, i apologize and will remove my post

thanks!
    To add on, is there much regarding the "Orange Book levels"?
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291

Seriously.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    Vogon Poet wrote:

Seriously.

good enough for me. Thank you for the clarification!

:D