Wifes HD took a Big $h***

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
She was sitting there typing and it just spontaniously reboot.. Now wont go into windows. Keeps giving me an error couldnt not find file.. window\sys32\* File seems to change from ntld.sys to hal.dll..

Not too worried about the windows, but I need to get some stuff off the HD, so I tried to slave it into my computer, keeps comeing up to the alternate boot methods, go to normal mode and it gets to the windows start up screen and reboots. Go to safe mode just reboots.. I cant seem to slave her in to get the good stuff from it..

Any suggestions?

I dont have a windows XP bootable disk. so i can only use a windows 2000 recovery console.
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmm - blaster?

You will have to slave it to get it up and most definitely set the drive in BIOS an not let it select. That usually helps it boot a lot faster and ensures it looks directly to the master drive first.
    If you only have a drive with win9X and your wifes drive is NTFS you can always download NTFS for Win98 from Paragon.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    did you try over-installing her o/s?
    A+ Moderator
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Well after a couple of hours of trying last night, i was finally able to slave it in.. It was a problem with my raid controller trying to look at the new hard drive to start up.. Anyway, i found all kinds of goodies on her hard drive..Win32:RPCexploit, this is the backdoor i found on her system. I am hoping someone didnt delete some files from her HD.. But i appreciate everyone's help..
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it usually just breaks a few system files rather than deleting anything.

http://www.asw.cz/i_idt_171.html has a decent cleaner for many of the current W32 series.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    When i slaved it in I couldnt get anything to work. I scanned with norton and avast. Tried some removal tools.. Wouldnt load at all. Then i tried to reinstall windows.. I kept getting an error 7. (hardware error).. it wouldnt let me reinstall Nothing.. So i had to keep changing hardware till i found culprit. A stick of Ram. Needless to say, i now have another bad stick of ram in there.. (one sitting on shelf, that i removed because i kept getting page faults off of it.)(slow as heck too). So i gotta pick-up another good stick.. At least i was able to save my .pst. I had my resume on there... We also had some pics and whatnot