Error when loading windows xp

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I have an IBM ThinkPad laptop with no os. When I tried loading XP is recieved the following:

file ql10wnt.sys is corrupted

Any suggestions.......
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Sounds pretty random, i would first verify the quality of the disk, how far into XP setup do you get?

Lee H
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    How far into the install are you?

If you are in the GUI part of the setup, you should be able to to use Shift+F10 to get to a command prompt. From there you should be able to access the CD, use extract tools or copy a good ql10wnt.sys to it's destination.

Maybe, try going into Recovery Console and running a chkdsk to see what the condition of your hard disk is
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the above posters - it looks like a file is corrupt on the CD and is not copying. If you can - try another XP CD and see if it copy's all the files over.
  • telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
    I found a mismatch with my memory. I removed the non IBM memory and I was able to run the XP setup. The only issue I ran into was I was unable to copy 4 files from the cd. I skiped the installation of these files and now completed the XP installation. I believe I was unable to install these files because of my XP CD. My laptop now boots normally. Just to confirm this I am running a scandisk now. If the issue is with my XP CD, is there a way to find out which files are missing (i forgot to write them down when I was running the setup) and install them???
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Check the CD for scratches. It might just be dirty and need a good shot of Windex to clean it off. Scratches can be polished-off if you have a disc polisher, otherwise a new install disc is needed.
    Scandisk check out fine. It repaired issues with the HD and now the system is functioning normally. I know I am missing 4 files. Is there anyway to find out what files are missing and how would I install them.
    I did a sfc /scannow. After is was complete, the system returmed to normal. It didn't prompt me for any issues. Dies this mean their are no system files missing?????
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It means that no system files have been missed so far. Have you installed SP2 and run Windows Updates on it until everything has been updated? If so, there's a good chance it's not missing anything important.