Options

ACPI woes...

drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've applied an XP image to an IBM t30 laptop. When the thing loads up, I get the "Unable to install following hardware : Intel 82845 to Agp processor - 1a31 acpi error" (paraphrased)

I've tried downloading all of windows updates (except ie7), which fixed the PCI to PCI bridge error that I had, and All of the thinkpad drivers that I assumed it needed (power management), to no avail.

I can't ship this out to the client until I get this resolved, but I'm stumped.

What next? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's the exact error? It sounds like it could also be a video issue as well. It sounds like your able to boot properly to the XP desktop environment...have you checked the event logs?

You could also go to %systemroot% and check the setuperr.log, though I'm not sure if this is written through the deployment method you used.

An in-place upgrade/repair using the CD may be in-order. I'd also suggest checking your BIOS and making sure ACPI isn't disabled or improperly configured.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I know you've installed the drivers for the chipset, but have you tried flashing the BIOS?

Also, I'm guessing the video for this laptop is an AGP card? (If not, it sounds like POST is attempting to start a device that doesn't exist... icon_confused.gif ) Most, if not all, PC video cards nowadays ship as ACPI-compatible. It sounds like there's still a conflict between the chipset and the vid card. It's probably stupid to ask, but have you installed updated drivers for the video card? Also, some vid card manufacturers allow you to flash the ROM on their cards. Might be worth a look...

Good luck!
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Here's a screen:

acpi.jpg

I've updated the video drivers, the power management drivers, the monitor drivers, although I haven't flashed the BIOS yet. I suppose that's the next thing on my list.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    drthtater wrote:
    I've applied an XP image to an IBM t30 laptop. When the thing loads up, I get the "Unable to install following hardware : Intel 82845 to Agp processor - 1a31 acpi error" (paraphrased)

I've tried downloading all of windows updates (except ie7), which fixed the PCI to PCI bridge error that I had, and All of the thinkpad drivers that I assumed it needed (power management), to no avail.

I can't ship this out to the client until I get this resolved, but I'm stumped.

What next? Any suggestions?

drthtater,

How did you create the "XP image" that you applied to the laptop?
  • Options
    It was supplied via network (ZenWorks) at my office. The most I did was input asset information and time and date.

I had no hand in actually creating the image.

Also, I know the image is good, as I applied it to another t30 last week.

Of course, things happen and this install could have just been screwed from the start.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    drthtater wrote:
    It was supplied via network (ZenWorks) at my office. The most I did was input asset information and time and date.

I had no hand in actually creating the image.

Also, I know the image is good, as I applied it to another t30 last week.

Of course, things happen and this install could have just been screwed from the start.

drhtater,

Have you gone into BIOS and verified if "ACPI" is turned on?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Have you checked if there are any BIOS firmware updates available on the Web site for that computer?
  • Options
    Yeah, everything else looks OK.

3 other techs and myself have looked this thing over, and we've all come to the consensus that it's crap.

Going to run 2 images side by side and see if the problem comes up again. If it does, it's the image itself. If it doesn't....*cough*user error*cough* icon_lol.gif

I'll let you know what happens.
  • Options
    Well, it was either *cough*user error*cough* or it was a bad install. I'm leaning towards the install, but who knows, I could have installed an image for the wrong model laptop.

Started up a new image and everything's fine.

Thanks for the help :D
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hehe, I have done that a couple times myself.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Hooray for bad images... icon_confused.gif

We've all had our fair share.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson