Mike Myers Book

dagr8timdagr8tim Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I picked up this Mike Myers book at a used book store today. It's a passport book to the CCNA cert. The CD is still sealed in the pouch (it's never been out).

I do have 2 questions before I dig too deeply into the book. Does Mike Myers produce one of the better prep books? And secondally, this book is for the 640-507 exam. I'm a formor acadmy student, so I'm on the 640-607 track. From what I hear, the only difference between the 507 & 607 were the sims. Is that true?
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    No that is not true. 640-607 didn't have sims at first. There are several things added and removed when CCNA went from 640-507 to 607. I.e. in 507 AppleTalk and IPX/SPX were still guaranteed part of the exam. 607 has a bigger focuss on ISDN and subnetting and routing protocols. Also, the 507 is based on older IOS versions (I think it is 10), which has implications for certain commands and command options.

You should really consider getting a newer book. I suggest Wendel Odom's book from Cisco Press or Todd Lammle's book from Sybex.
  • dagr8timdagr8tim Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanx for the info. I don't plan on using it as my main study point. I've discovered http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/introint.htm as a great resouce for the CCNA. It explains things differentally than my cisco books. Not to mention I am using several websites (including this one). I figured there's nothing wrong with being over prepared, and it's better than being under prepared.

At this point, I'm trying to get as much extra info for the exam as possible. I've signed up to take the exam on March 5th. So I want to get as much extra work as possible.
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
    The docs you posted used to be availabel as a separate course, as an optional prerequisite for the CCNA course. Although several topics from it will be on the exam, and it is definitely recommended reading. It's also included with Cisco routers and switches on CD.
    Another great cisco resource I've found is http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm. It's also great reading at work when it's slow.
    That is exactly the same content as on the CD I was referring to. Although many people got broadband now and don't worry about staying online too long, if you work at a company that has several routers and switches in place you may be able to get hold of a copy for offline reading.
    Webmaster wrote:
    That is exactly the same content as on the CD I was referring to. Although many people got broadband now and don't worry about staying online too long, if you work at a company that has several routers and switches in place you may be able to get hold of a copy for offline reading.

My employer has atleast 10 2500's and 20 or so 1900's. Which gives us somewhere between 500 and 1000 computers. Currently I do tech support, but want to move up to NOC and do more than be a phone tech. I've started making nice with the lead tech in NOC. I just wish they had a program to let me get some inside experience.
    Unless you can get the CD from a newer model you better stick to the online version. The ones that came with the 2500s are kinda outdated.

I've been there as well... took me a while to find out there is no such thing as assistant-network admin. icon_wink.gif