Options

Is a router simulator a good substitute for a CCNA lab?

andres.lara.alcantarandres.lara.alcantar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am in a interesting situation. I currently am away from home and share a room with someone who I really don't trust. I am really interested in preparing for the CCNA. I would like to purchase a CCNA Hardware Kit, but I worry about it either being stolen or tampered with. I do have access to a computer off site that I could use a simulator with. Would this be a good alternative. I know I will be able to pass the test with the simulator, but I want to actually be qualified for a job requiring a CCNA certification. What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinda sounds like your in a pickle. I mean you are right, you want to get that real hands-on experience with gear. Theres really no substitute for that. Ya you can definately pass the test with a good simulator as long as you know the difference between a simulation BUG and what really should be happening. A lot of people on here have had success with simulators. Just know that Boson is buggy with VTP, OSPF RIDS, and a few other things.

If you can't trust your roomate, then maybe you should just focus on getting the cert. then later on, you can pick some some gear and start on CCDA or CCNP.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_arrow.gif**CCNA FAQ** - Please read before posting.
    There's an entire section for " I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator?" you may want to read first.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend you to use Dynamips, its good because you are working with real IOS and you can create your owns labs.

Dynamips is free, at the beggining you will need to read a little bit how to configure it, after that everything will work fine.

Raul
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where can you download Dynamips? Do you have a link? Will it work with both Windows XP and Windows Vista?
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.