Options

For everyone that passed this thing

SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I've been studying for this thing for about three weeks or so now. Read through the Sybex book, and am working my way through the Syngress book which will lead me to a Sec+ class next week. I've also got a copy of both the CBT Nuggets and Testout CD learning thingies on tap if I need it. My question is, how hard is this thing anyway? I don't have that comfortable feeling that I normally do after going through my studying method and the $251 price tag is also upping the ante a bit. I had envisioned taking the test on Aug. 3, which would be the Monday after my Sec+ class, but being that I don't feel comfortable with the material, I'm not sure I can fall back on "experience" to carry me through should things not go well testwise. Any opinions from Sec+ holders? icon_confused.gif
Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    This is an odd test to judge; it catches alot of people off guard. I would definately not recommend taking it lightly. You do however have a decent list of study materials and if you took the time to learn it properly you should do alright.

Some of the questions are worded rather poorly. Just relax try to find key words in the question that link up to one of the answers.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I agree with what seuss_ssues already said, imo the exam is badly written, however that doesn't mean that the exam isn't passable. One thing that I would recommend is getting some test prep software from Transcender or Preplogic (I used Preplogic and found them good), to evaluate your stregths and weakness when it comes to the exam.

-ken
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I think a problem might arise from reading the Syngress version of the Security+. I have heard that they Syngress version goes above and beyond the require spectrum for the Objectives. Perhaps after reading that book, you feel bit overwhelmed. At any rate, definately get some practice software like Transcender - I find it helps a lot. Also, read the Technotes provided here - they help to summary and verify information you might have or might not have learned.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    You should feel extremely comfortable with the material before taking the test.
    I know you've read the Sybex book, but do you know it?
    Can you discuss the objectives (or teach a class) in detail with no notes?
    I wouldn't use additional resources until I've mastered the first one, unless you need clarification.
    Most of the test isn't that bad, but there are some awkwardly worded questions.
    Sounds like you're on the right path. Take your time.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    your materials are good and your in good shape man..

Keep studing, and enjoy the class. I felt really nervous about this test but I passed.

My material line up was/is very similar to yours.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice folks. I think the thing that really scared me was that there was information in the Syngress book that wasn't in the Sybex. So far, most books have been fairly consistent, with just a little bit extra here and there. But there was stuff I was reading in the Syngress so I started second guessing myself. It really threw my comfort level out for a loop. Anyhow, I was on the fence about getting the Transcenders tests for this cause the MCSE tests hit my pocket hard, but I think I should just spring the money for it. I think it'd probably be better to spend the $139 and pass the test the first time vs. having to take the test twice eh?
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    SrAtechie wrote:
    Thanks for the advice folks. I think the thing that really scared me was that there was information in the Syngress book that wasn't in the Sybex. So far, most books have been fairly consistent, with just a little bit extra here and there. But there was stuff I was reading in the Syngress so I started second guessing myself. It really threw my comfort level out for a loop. Anyhow, I was on the fence about getting the Transcenders tests for this cause the MCSE tests hit my pocket hard, but I think I should just spring the money for it. I think it'd probably be better to spend the $139 and pass the test the first time vs. having to take the test twice eh?
    I heard about the Syngress book containing more information than what is covered in the CompTIA domains. I agree with the Transcender - it is worth it.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."