hi
can you tell me in what osi do Network card operts
i hvae than alot of demo exams and im alwaeys getting diffrent results
some says in the physical
some says data link
so in the buttem line what is the answer

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Data link--except for the media connector.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • 12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The NIC operates at the "physical" layer to my knowledge and all the books that I have read.
    The NIC operates at the "physical" layer to my knowledge and all the books that I have read.
    Unless, the Network+ by David Groth is incorrect. icon_sad.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    This discussion has been held so many times already. You can take Janmike's answer as the correct one. Unless they specifically specify it concerns the NIC's interface, Layer 2 /DataLink layer is the correct answer (more specifically the MAC layer). If the question refers to the NIC's interface/media connector the answer is physical layer.

Remember that the Physical layer only deals with bits, electrical signals and such. It wouldn't be possible to define the entire NIC in the Physical layer. The drivers, the controls and subsystems, and the address used for the NIC reside on the Data Link layer.
    Unless, the Network+ by David Groth is incorrect
    Don't be suprised by that. Pretty much every book out there contains at least a couple of flat out wrong info. I never read a David Groth book, apart from the Sybex Security+ book which he co-authored (the network+ topics in security+) and there is some very wrong info in that one as well. Ie. that AppleTalk is not routable... as you can read in our Network+ TechNotes AppleTalk is 'very' routable.

If you doubt anything in your book, check our Network+ TechNotes. It has been read by almost 20,000 people and I'm confident it is entirely accurate.
    So, would the "MSAU" device fall under the physical layer, correct?