Hello

live_wirelive_wire Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
greetings mates,
i joined this wonderful board a couple of days back( i am really happy i did). Found everyone on this board extremely helpful.
I have a passion for networks(wired and wireless, although i am a newbie).
I am planning to take the CCNA test in the 3rd week of september, with regard to this i wanted to know if i am eligible for the old test 640-801 or the new one 640-802 ?

some may feel that i have planned for the test early ( 6-8 weeks of prep )..but i feel confident..since i am studying like there is no tomorrow...hopefully i l b sucessfull like many of u here :) .
Hopefully i can contribute much more as i gain more knowledge day by day :) .

Comments

• ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum live_wire. Well in answer to your question, if you plan to take the exam during the 3rd week of September, then you will be in the overlap period where you will have the option to take either 640-801 or 640-802.

Should you opt for the 802, which may be advisable at that point as it might look flashier on your resume, icon_wink.gif make sure that you get the new study materials for that exam before doing so. More and more starting with the CCDA, Cisco is rolling CCNP material into the new exams for both CCNA and CCDA.

They are not getting any easier. So, yes it is possible to study for and pass the exam in your time frame, but you will need to be diligent.

As always feel free to ask questions on here and welcome again. Good luck! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

You can take either. The new test should be available on 8/15, the old test will be discontinued on 11/6.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 8/15 date didn't look right to me. although it is the date listed on the link I posted. I checked some old posts, and it looks like the original release date was 8/1, so the bumped them back two weeks already.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    ITdude wrote:
    Welcome to the forum live_wire. Well in answer to your question, if you plan to take the exam during the 3rd week of September, then you will be in the overlap period where you will have the option to take either 640-801 or 640-802.

Should you opt for the 802, which may be advisable at that point as it might look flashier on your resume, icon_wink.gif make sure that you get the new study materials for that exam before doing so. More and more starting with the CCDA, Cisco is rolling CCNP material into the new exams for both CCNA and CCDA.

They are not getting any easier. So, yes it is possible to study for and pass the exam in your time frame, but you will need to be diligent.

As always feel free to ask questions on here and welcome again. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

You were kidding there, right? A CCNA is a CCNA is a CCNA. icon_wink.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markzab wrote:
    ITdude wrote:

You were kidding there, right? A CCNA is a CCNA is a CCNA. icon_wink.gif

I think he is, but isn't at the same time. It's a newer certification, and if you have the choice of hiring two equal personnel, with the only difference being one took an older CCNA exam, one took the newer with more information....

Again, a lot of that plays into the person doing the hiring knowing there's a difference as well.
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I think that assuming an employer knows the dates of the ccna is just funny. I haven't met an admin yet that cares what the "number" of my ccna was, never mind someone from HR. Just as long as it's valid.

A CCNA is a CCNA is a....
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    mikearama wrote:
    I think that assuming an employer knows the dates of the ccna is just funny. I haven't met an admin yet that cares what the "number" of my ccna was, never mind someone from HR. Just as long as it's valid.

A CCNA is a CCNA is a....

Thank you. icon_lol.gif

I have also never seen someone put their actual test number on their resume, rather just the cert abreviation itself (CCNA). I used to do a lot of consulting and was never asked my number on any of the tests I had passed.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    The only logic of saying that it looks flashier could be that the new CCNA also gives you CCENT. But regardless, a CCNA is a CCNA.
    True, Stotic... however, if you were a CCNA, could you ever imagine a situation where you'd even comment on having your CCENT?

That's like bragging about being an MCP once an MCSE.

Or a CNA after becoming a CNE.

Or being excited about having a highschool diploma, when you have a university degree.

Or...
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Stotic wrote:
    The only logic of saying that it looks flashier could be that the new CCNA also gives you CCENT. But regardless, a CCNA is a CCNA.

...is a CCNA. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
    mikearama wrote:
    True, Stotic... however, if you were a CCNA, could you ever imagine a situation where you'd even comment on having your CCENT?

That's like bragging about being an MCP once an MCSE.

Or a CNA after becoming a CNE.

Or being excited about having a highschool diploma, when you have a university degree.

Or...

...Bragging about sleeping with one chic 2 days ago when you had 2 at the same time last night. icon_lol.gif

Ok, that may have been a bit much. Back to work. :)
    *LOL* Exactly!

So, a question for any of you CCNP's/DP's/IP's/SP's who frequent the board... do you still mention that you have a CCNA (other than here on the board)??

mikearama wrote:
    *LOL* Exactly!

So, a question for any of you CCNP's/DP's/IP's/SP's who frequent the board... do you still mention that you have a CCNA (other than here on the board)??

Back when I was NA, DA, and NP certified I still would list all of them on my resume. Technically the CCNA isn't part of the NP tests. What I mean is, When I was passing the CCNP tests I wouldn't list the ones I passed on my resume until I passed the whole CCNP track of 4 tests.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot of employers want people who are on the track to CCNP. I see a lot of job advertisements that say a CCNA is required and the CCNP track or CCNP certified is a plus. I think it lets the employer know that you are still serious about your rise to the top. It also lets them know that the person has a lot of potential. Employers want somone who they know will become a valuable assett to the company.

If I had CCNA and a couple CCNP tests in the bag, I think I would definately put the test numbers of the CCNP tests that I had completed on my resume. It's not like a couple extra numbers is going to take up anymore room on the page or make it unorganized. Passing those tests is hard work and an accomplishment. Cert. or no Cert.

What would an employer do if he/she had two resumes to choose from. One guy has had CCNA for a year, the other guy has had it for a little over a year, but one guy is half way done with CCNP. Who do you think he is going to call in for an interview. Maybe both, but who will be able to catch the employer's attention and make a mark during the interview. They guy that is almost done with CCNP.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Ya know what, let me correct myself. When I was passing the seperate NP tests I would list the test names (abbreviations). So I would have CCNA, CCDA, BSCI, etc.
    You guys are getting off on a tangent. A good one though.

I also list the exams I've completed on my way to CCNP... but be clear, I don't expect to mention my NA ever again once I'm an NP.

Similarly, when I make it to CCIE, I'll no doubt not mention my CCNP/IP/DP/SP again (cause I plan on having them all... I mean, why not?). Shoot, I'll be a CCIE.

So for a CCNA to comment that they have their CCENT... a little pointless, to my way of thinking. A CCENT is a CCENT, and for them, a great stepping stone.

mikearama wrote:

I also list the exams I've completed on my way to CCNP... but be clear, I don't expect to mention my NA ever again once I'm an NP.

Similarly, when I make it to CCIE, I'll no doubt not mention my CCNP/IP/DP/SP again (cause I plan on having them all... I mean, why not?). Shoot, I'll be a CCIE.

So for a CCNA to comment that they have their CCENT... a little pointless, to my way of thinking. A CCENT is a CCENT, and for them, a great stepping stone.

But I think it's different with the CCNET because it is so new and not many employers probably even know about it. Would definitely keep listing my NA and DA even if I had the NP because although you have the higher certs, it's still hard to pass the lower ones. Also, when someone does a resume search for a NA you wouldnt show up if you only listed CCNP.
    icon_lol.gif It's a little too early for me to be thinking about a menage' twah or bragging about the likes after having an even larger group session.

you wouldnt show up if you only listed CCNP
    good point
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Netstudent wrote:
    icon_lol.gif It's a little too early for me to be thinking about a menage' twah or bragging about the likes after having an even larger group session.

icon_lol.gif
    Netstudent wrote:
    good point

That is a good point. I need to ask my HR manager if she'd ever do a search for an NA, but not include NP in that search. Sure would have to be an entry level (intermediate, at best) position. Prolly NOC help desk. Hmmm, now I'm curious.

mikearama wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:
    good point

That is a good point. I need to ask my HR manager if she'd ever do a search for an NA, but not include NP in that search. Sure would have to be an entry level (intermediate, at best) position. Prolly NOC help desk. Hmmm, now I'm curious.

Well just think about it. Some employers might forget or not think to include the NP. Or the job just wouldnt require an NP. I'm sure there are a lot of NP's that would apply for a job listed as an NA position anyway if the price and opportunity were right.

What if that one search was a potential job that you missed out on because you simply didnt include 4 letters that you earned on your resume.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow! I did not expect to release a hornet's nest with my comment. Yes, I was kinda joking BUT....If you think I am wrong in my slant, take a look at the blueprint for the new CCDA exam and then tell me if it is REALLY the same CCDA as the old one.

The prerequisite set for that exam now includes an assumption of BCMSN level knowledge and includes some QoS , wireless, VOIP etc. Now if a potential employer knew that (big assumption of course) do you think he might be more inclined to take a closer look? Who knows?

I was just throwing it into the mix. However, for most situations a CCNA is a CCNA! icon_wink.gif:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

serious_cat.jpg
    HAHA!

No offense, but that is a wierd lookin cat.
    Netstudent wrote:
    HAHA!

No offense, but that is a wierd lookin cat.

None taken. It isn't mine. icon_lol.gif