12.4 IOS requirments

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
12.4 ISO would work on a 2610 router with 16MB of Flash memory right?
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any 12.4 images for c2600 requires an XM series router. typically 32MB flash 128DRAM.

So to answer your question no. You can only use the latest general deployment for 2610's, 12.3(22)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    1841#sh ver

--

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FHK103513PC
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 Serial(sync/async) interface
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    191K bytes of NVRAM.
    31360K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

----

so this router here has 114688K Dram and 31360K Flash right?

remind me what the 16384K is referring too...?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    That number is your (IOMEM) which is partitioned off and reseved for physical resources like buffers, real time logging, etc.

Man, Matt's gonna be proud of me. icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    ah ok... so that router has about 128MB of DRAM with about 16MB partitioned off. and 32MB of Flash...
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
    markzab wrote:
    That number is your (IOMEM) which is partitioned off and reseved for physical resources like buffers, real time logging, etc.

Man, Matt's gonna be proud of me. icon_lol.gif

Yep I'm proud of ya now ^_^ Its always the simple things that help the most in the field.

Also you are running a x8xx series so therefore these routers are designed to run 12.4 initially.

Yes you are correct. 128MB total, 16MB for IOMEM, 32MB ATA R/W Flash.

This router here is the typical router you will see now in brach offices and small businesses of 100 users or so. Any router from the x6xx (1600, 2600, 3600's) series that is offlease and being replaced is getting replaced by the x8xx Series such as 1800, 2800, 2800.

the new SOHO routers (18xx) can support new HWIC cards (such as wifi radios, multi t1's etc..)
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Any 12.4 images for c2600 requires an XM series router. typically 32MB flash 128DRAM.

So to answer your question no. You can only use the latest general deployment for 2610's, 12.3(22)

I have 12.4 (C2600-IPBASEK9-M, Version 12.4(icon_cool.gif) running on a bunch of 2610's and 2611's with 16/64, no issues.

You can run the 12.4 enterprise feature set on a 2620/21 by booting via tftp or an upgraded bootrom and 32 MB of flash.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    ent 12.4 requires 128mb dram. Altough the 2600's will run 12.4 ip base (thats all) it still does not provide normal features required for most exam topics. such as IEEE 802.1q intervlan routing support. therefore its actually useless as far as study goes.
    Actaully i take that back 12.4(16) can utilize vlan trunking with 802.2q if you can get it. it is a 64/16 image.

But ip base lacks IPv6 features. (your call)

For a 2600 i'd stick with 12.3(22) ent basic.
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    ent 12.4 requires 128mb dram. Altough the 2600's will run 12.4 ip base (thats all) it still does not provide normal features required for most exam topics. such as IEEE 802.1q intervlan routing support. therefore its actually useless as far as study goes.
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Actaully i take that back 12.4(16) can utilize vlan trunking with 802.2q if you can get it. it is a 64/16 image.

But ip base lacks IPv6 features. (your call)

For a 2600 i'd stick with 12.3(22) ent basic.

the orginal poster asked about running 12.4 on a Cisco 2610. The IP base image can do IEEE trunking for your intervlan routing. You can run 12.4 ent basic on a 2620 with 32 mb flash, before you say you can't I have. (although with 4-5 subinterfaces on a FE interface it ran out of RAM)

OMG, 12.4 ent basic does not have BGP dont use it.

I don't want this to turn into a debate, but stop hitting the feature navigator to see what Cisco says is supported, vs what actually works (for a lab I'm not worried about running out of memory although in a production network this would be bad).
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    WARNING: Never argue with MG in regards to IOS. icon_exclaim.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
    dtlokee wrote:
    the orginal poster asked about running 12.4 on a Cisco 2610. The IP base image can do IEEE trunking for your intervlan routing. You can run 12.4 ent basic on a 2620 with 32 mb flash, before you say you can't I have. (although with 4-5 subinterfaces on a FE interface it ran out of RAM)

OMG, 12.4 ent basic does not have BGP dont use it.

I don't want this to turn into a debate, but stop hitting the feature navigator to see what Cisco says is supported, vs what actually works (for a lab I'm not worried about running out of memory although in a production network this would be bad).

Yes ent basic does NOT support bgp on 12.3 , it is however included in ip plus. But for all intensive purpsoes, ent basic is fine for CCNA. BGP is never touched in the Wendel Odem CCNA books if i recall. (but i do remember it being in the CCDA books)

But to answer the initial question of this topic, it would be yes if you want to sacrafice all the features in 12.3 ip plus or ent for standard features in ip base 12.4 then thats your call. But under heavy loads they do tend to crash this is because the image was not initially designed for non XM routers. C2600XM's have a better processor and more ram support.
    Since you are running an image designed to run on an XM series router, but I doubt TAC will provide support, (not 100% sure but I've never tried this)

Yes 2610 will run 12.4 IP base with 64/16 + only. (thats it)

Even in a lab enviroment it may lock up or crash from time to time due to lack of resources and processing power and you'll be screaming "WHY COME THIS DOSENT WORK!!" I have ran 12.4 ip base on a 2620 before and boy was it slow icon_lol.gif Yes I agree with ya 100%, you'd never use this in a production enviroment.

If you have ran 12.4 ent on a 2620 w/64DRAM and had it actually boot without IOS forcing a software crash due to mem_req then I want to see the bootstrap dispatch, and yes 12.4 will fit on 32mb flash, I never said it wouldnt icon_rolleyes.gif you can support 32mb flash on 2600 (non xm's) if you upgrade the bootrom to 12.1(3r)T2 or later

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to get the facts straight with what actually works with out a doubt and what "can possibly" work.

But when I get time I'll download these images from Cisco and slap them on a spare 2620 (non xm) and play around with these but I'm leaning more towards any thing over ip base will force software crash mem_req error. any who i gotta get back to work, ill be on later tonight possibly.
    Since you are running an image designed to run on an XM series router, but I doubt TAC will provide support, (not 100% sure but I've never tried this)

heh, TAC will not provide support unless you have a service contract anyhow, somehow I don't think all those eBay'd routers are eligible for Smartnet. (Cisco kinda frowns upon the resale of their routers, not to mention the number of them on eBay that are counterfeit)

The case of what IOS to run for CCNA, you don't need an full Enterprise version, a Enhanced IP or Enterprise base will do just fine and you can run 12.4 if you like, just so you can configure sub second hello's for OSPF(which isn't on the CCNA), or run 12.0 and still have access to the commands required for CCNA it really doesn't matter.