Cabling and using a 2509 TS...

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok, straight off I'll admit that I've never used a cisco device as a TS, but I understand how it is to be used...

What I am unsure of is how it is cabled and how you access the devices attached to it.

From what I have read, you connect the RJ-45 ends to the Console ports of the devices you want to attach? Right?

And I have "heard" that you use a rollover cable to connect from your PC to the TS Console port? Is this correct?

Then what I would like to know is how do you connect to the various devices connected to the TS from your PC. Do you use plain old telnet?

What I'm looking for is the physical cabling as well as how you would use whatever software/method to then get a session to these devices.

Thanks...
RD icon_confused.gif
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you know what type of cable is used from the switch to the TS? Rollover? Straight-through? Cross-over?
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I have a 2509 and if you are using a ethernet transciever then you can connect the AUI to the switch via a straight-through cable. If you are trying to connect to the console port on the back then you will use the Octal cable that just plugs into the back.
    I dont have an AUI Ethernet transceiver, so I was trying to use the AUX port....

I read that you can use that port using a rolled cable, but I get nothing when I try to telnet...
    r_durant wrote:
    Do you know what type of cable is used from the switch to the TS? Rollover? Straight-through? Cross-over?

You want to use a console cable from the serial port on your PC to the console port on the 2509.

George
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
    Ok, that is what I currently have attached...

How do I telnet to more than one host at a time? And, have multiple sessions open to the different devices??

The console cable from the serial port on my PC will only allow a single connection to the 2509 (unless I'm mistaken) and from the 2509 I can only telnet to a single device at any one time.
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will need a:
    http://www.anthonypanda.com/ebay/octal.jpg

Each of those numbered RJ45s goes to a console port on the other devices. You then setup the connection by assigning static hosts.

You configure a loopback address. (172.16.1.1)

ip host <name> <port> <loopback>

name = the name you want to give to the host device
    port = number on the octal cable 2001 - cable 1, 2002 - cable 2, 2003 and so on....
    loopback = loopback you configured.

Now just type in the hostname and it will connect you to it...
    You switch between sessions. Use shift+ctrl+6 x to suspend a session and go back to the access server and then the session number to get back to the suspended session.

If you can't connect to a line from the TS then use the 'clear line X' command (you may have to do this more than once).
    use the 'disconnect X' command to disconnect a session.
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    No, I have the octal cable, but it seems as though I misunderstood the concept...

Currently, I can do as you indicated...
    Now just type in the hostname and it will connect you to it...

I thought the way it worked was that I'd be able to telnet from my PC to each device via the 2509, not that I'd have to console into the 2509 and then telnet to the devices...

Thanks guys, I understand now and I guess it's working as it should...
    georgemc wrote:
    You switch between sessions. Use shift+ctrl+6 x to suspend a session and go back to the access server and then the session number to get back to the suspended session.

If you can't connect to a line from the TS then use the 'clear line X' command (you may have to do this more than once).
    use the 'disconnect X' command to disconnect a session.

Yea, we're on the same page now...

Thanks...
    r_durant wrote:
    I thought the way it worked was that I'd be able to telnet from my PC to each device via the 2509, not that I'd have to console into the 2509 and then telnet to the devices...

Thanks guys, I understand now and I guess it's working as it should...

Yes, it's working as it should. Practice and get used to switching back and forth between sessions, it comes in handy.
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.