Can't disable clock rate on a 2801...

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a strange situation, well at least it's strange to me...

I'm working on a 2801 at work, it has a WIC-1T and a WIC-1DSU-T1. The router came with the default config and on serial 0/1/0 had the clock rate already set at 2000000...The WIC-1DSU is on Serial0/2/0 and is shutdown.

!
interface Serial0/1/0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
clock rate 2000000
!

We're gonna connect thru a Telco, who will provide clocking, hence I need to disable clocking on the serial interface. Issuing the "no clock rate" or "no clock rate 2000000" does not remove it.

I have removed and reseated the WIC-1T, but to no avail...

How can I disable the clock rate on this interface?

RD
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Hey, great question... had this same issue last year with a new router.

Here's the logic behind this one:

Every serial int, until connected to another router's serial int, thinks it's the DCE... wants to be the DCE... needs to be the DCE. Saying no clockrate is like saying SHUT, it allows no throughput whatsoever. The serial int doesn't want/like that idea at all.

So, until you actually connect the link to your telco, don't let the detail that the clockrate shows up cause you any grief... it's supposed to. As soon as you connect, issue the no clockrate command... your end will become the DTE and it will accept your telco's DCE settings.

HTH,
    Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif Geeez, thanks Mike

Would you believe that stopped me from installing the router yesterday

I was thinking there would be more to it... icon_scratch.gif
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote:
    Every serial int, until connected to another router's serial int, thinks it's the DCE... wants to be the DCE... needs to be the DCE. Saying no clockrate is like saying SHUT, it allows no throughput whatsoever. The serial int doesn't want/like that idea at all.

icon_lol.gif Sounds like somthing that I would say :lol"
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1