Options

Robocopy or FSMT?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
HEY GURUS

does anyone know what synatax to use to copy sharenames as well as NTFS permissions.

I have been using for example:

robocopy c:\add\ d:\add\ /copyall /e

and copies all I need but not the sharename and we are doing tests to see what tool is the best
but we have hundreds of sharenames. we do not want to do them manually.

is this possible??? we have about 50 gigs tor transfer to anoter server??
help gurus!
Thanks

icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174273

Although the article applies to NT, permcopy is still in the 2003 RK.

permcopy \\SourceServer SourceShare \\DestinationServer DestinationShare

Parameters
    \\SourceServer
    Specifies the server that controls the source share.
    SourceShare
    Specifies the name of the source share.
    \\DestinationServer
    Specifies the server that controls the destination share.
    DestinationShare
    Specifies the name of the destination share.
    Notes

PermCopy does not follow the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) standard, in which you specify the server name and share name together: \\ServerName\ShareName. Instead, PermCopy requires that you type a space character between the server name and the share name. If you do not type the space character, then PermCopy displays a syntax summary and does not copy share permissions.
    The destination share must already exist. If the destination share does not exist, then PermCopy displays a network error and does not copy share permissions.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk

thank you but do you think it will transfer shares information as well?

robocopy transferrs all ntfs permissions but when i look to the destination drive
    the sharenames are gone in our test copy.

do you know what i mean? not sure if i am clear or not.

thanks bud!
    icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrk

i see am i right sprkymrk

permcopy copies share permissions and ntfs permissions?
    and i just need to create the share names right? we have about 200 share names but
    i guess i can do that just thought it would be nice to have something copy
    sharenames, share perm and ntfs perm am i waked or what?

Robert(aka itdaddy)
    thanks sprkymrk
  • Options
    Robert:

Use robocopy first to copy everything over, then use permcopy to copy the share permissions. The destination share must already exist, but robocopy will do that for you.

What PermCopy Does
    PermCopy copies share permissions (ACLs) from one share to another.

PermCopy cannot create a share on a destination server. Furthermore, PermCopy copies only the share permissions; it does not copy files, and it does not affect the permissions of shared files on either the source or destination share.

Using PermCopy
    To copy share permissions using PermCopy:
    Confirm that the source share has the correct permissions. For more information about how to set permissions, see Set permissions on a shared resource.
    Ensure that the destination share already exists. If it does not, use another tool to create it. Tools with this capability include Windows Explorer and the Net share command.
    Ensure that the files and folders of the source share have been copied to the destination share. If they have not been copied, then use another tool to copy them. Tools with this capability include Windows Explorer and the Xcopy command.
    Use PermCopy to copy the share permissions of the source share to the destination share.
  • Options
    I would create a script. First use computer management>shared folders>shares and export the list to a text file. Import it to a spreadsheet to just get the info you need (leave out admin shares, they won't work with permcopy). Put the results back into a text file. The use a script something like:

for /f %%S in (c:\temp\shares.txt) do permcopy \\originalserver %%S \\newserver %%S

Test first, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266083

thanks yeah i found this article also...will try it thank you for replying so fast.

;D
    will let you know how it goes.
    :D
    [/quote]