I hate the CVOICE! (stupid dumb exam)

techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys
well Ive tried to pass the CVOICE exam, but I just cant pass that stupid exam.

IM trying to get my CCVP and this is the first exam that Ive taken for the CCVP track.

so far it sucks. the first time I failed with a 687, the second time arou
nd I did even worse with a 650.

the materials Im using is Kevin Wallaces Cisco press book. authorized self study.
plus the IP telephony flash cards.

plus some hands on equipment from work.

the book is horrible, boring and makes no sense. I just dont understand any of this voice stuff.

I studied for weeks, and the virtual exams for the cisco press suck.

does anyone know of any other materials I can use to study that will help me make sense of this stuff? the exam is very heavy on basic telephony, signaling, aqnd codecs, and I dont understand any of it, even after reading the book twice. does anyone know of any other books, study material, or other practice exams I can use.

plus I just could not get the stupid dumb pointless sim to work.

Im considering just giving up and going for my CCNP, but I work in a voice environment, and want to get my CCVP. if anyone can help me pass this stupid dumb retarded exam I would greatly appreciate it. IM beginning to think I should just stick with data and that voice is just not for me.

icon_cry.gif

help!
information belongs to the public! hack the planet!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You say you work in a voice environment,
    I work in a voice environment
    but then you say you think you should just stick with data....
    IM beginning to think I should just stick with data and that voice is just not for me.
    How much Voice experience do you have? If you're coming from the data/networking side then the voice stuff will be strange.

CVOICE is to the CCVP as subnetting is to the CCNA -- its the basic stuff that seems silly by itself but is something you must know if you want to have a future doing this stuff.

If the book isn't doing it for you, you might want to try the CVOICE CBT Nuggets to get a better idea of what is "important" and to get an idea how it all fits together.

Did you compare your score report to the CVOICE exam blueprint? Did you fall short in just one or two topic areas? Or were you low in all of them?

The "Reference Sheet" pdf file on the Flash Card CD were also pretty good for helping identify the "important stuff" for the CVOICE exam.

As for the "pointless SIM" -- all the "configure" or "use" lines of the blueprint seem to be reasonable tasks that a CCVP should be able to do.....
    Configure a router so that a basic IP Telephony call can be completed
        * Configure dial-peer settings for VoIP or POTs
        * Configure POTs ports (FXS and FXO)
        * Configure E&M
        * Configure hunt groups
        * Configure gateway/gatekeeper
        * Configure call signalling

Troubleshoot a basic IP telephony configuration
        * Use show/debug commands to troubleshoot invalid dial-peer configurations
        * Use show/debug commands to troubleshoot invalid port configuration and operation
        * Use show/debug commands to troubleshoot invalid signalling configuration
        * Use show/debug commands to troubleshoot invalid hunt-group configurations
        * Use show/debug commands to troubleshoot invalid digit manipulation

Just like anything, there's lots of "trivia" to learn to start -- but these are pretty basic tasks once you get your hand on equipment. I could understand if you found the "explain" and "compare" tasks "annoying" -- because I sure did. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!