Options

Bandwidth Allocation on LAN(p2p)

Carson_MageCarson_Mage Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently have a wireless network of two computers(mine and my sisters) sharing a broadband connection using ICS, ever since i set it up my sister has been downloading like crazy and it really slows the connection down for me. I was wondering if there was a way of allocating the bandwidth so that i have, let's say 40KBps and my sister has 20 KBps.

btw im on bt yahoo brodband(512 kbps) and im using netgear wireless cards.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    If you're using XP or 2K, you can configure a large "reservation bandwidth" for her. I'm going to assume theres no way to monitor/manipulate throughput on your ICS server otherwise.

On her computer, go to Start, run, mmc and press OK.
    Go to File, Add/Remove Snap-in.
    Scroll down until you find the Local Computer Policy.
    Press Add, then OK/Close.
    On the context tree that appears on the left, expand to Local computer policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, QoS Packet Scheduler.
    Double-click on Limit reservable bandwidth, and set it to 80%, and enable it.

Afterward, we need to add the QoS packet drivers.
    Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections.
    Right-click on the NIC in her computer that connects to your LAN, and press properties.
    Click on the Networking tab, and press "Install".
    Add the QoS packet scheduler as a protocol, and verify that there is a checkmark after it.
    Then, reboot her computer.

Hopefully, this will limit her bandwidth.

However, I'm not too sure if it will, because it could be 80% of a 100Mbit connection that's reserved for "priority traffic".

If that doesn't work, try http://bandwidthcontroller.com/

(Note: Windows XP SP1 removed RSVP for 802.1p, but only by default. QoS traffic shaping can still work in a client/server environment afaik)
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    Carson_MageCarson_Mage Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thnaks i will certainly give that badnwidth controller a try :)icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I looked at the help for the "Limit reservable bandwidth", and
    By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default

It ain't gonna work dis way. You are changing the value from 20 to 80...