Options

Kinda off-subject but relates to remote lab access...

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a query for you guys...and gals of course....

Do any of you access your home lab remotely? If you do, how did you setup access through your modem/router?

I have a speedstream 6520 and I'm have trouble passing traffic through this modem?

What ADSL modems/routers do you guys use? That is for the ones that access their labs remotely...

Thanks,
RD
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I can tell you what I've done...

I have a linksys WRT wireless router. I've set up a machine to act as an FTP server. On the router, I've entered the IP of the ftp server in the DMZ screen, and then in the custom routing screen, I've created a forward from my public IP with the port of 20/21 to this server.

This allows me, once authenticated, to retrieve any files that I've stored on the server.

I haven't tried VPN access yet... the ftp solution works great for what I need.

HTH,
    Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a Linksys RV042 router at home and I establish a VPN to the router to access the home rack. If you have a terminal server hooked to your routers, you could set up your Internet router to forward telnet to the IP address of the term server then you can connect to all the devices. This is not the most secure configuration, but it works. Make sure you have the terminal server password protected of course, or you could configure it for SSH then forward SSH to the term server.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote:

I have a linksys WRT wireless router. I've set up a machine to act as an FTP server. On the router, I've entered the IP of the ftp server in the DMZ screen, and then in the custom routing screen, I've created a forward from my public IP with the port of 20/21 to this server.

This allows me, once authenticated, to retrieve any files that I've stored on the server.

HTH,
    Mike

Do you have DSL or Cable modem for internet? I'v tried this with my Linksys WRT, but with no success. Did you forward the port under the gaming and applications menu??? This interests me because I would like to get mine to work as well. Maybe mine didn't work because I didn't put the IP for my computer in the DMZ. Does your FTP server have a private IP?

I use UltraVNC with an encryption plug-in.

I was able to make a connection if I was inside my wireless network coming in through the WAP only. But if I tried to come in through the internet like through my cable modem, it would not connect. All I did was forward my public IP to the private IP of my machine with the port numbers for the application.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I have forwards setup to allow shell access a linux machine and rdp to allow access to a windows machine.

Once inside the network i can telnet to any router or machine that i need to access.
    Additionally I have three of my routers plugged into the serial of linux machines so even if a I botch something and cannot telnet in i can still access it.
  • Options
    mikearama wrote:

HTH,
    Mike

The Speedstream does have a DMZ option, but I've never tried that, I'll give it a go when I get home from work...

The Speadstream has a port forwarding option that is supposed to work, but I wasn't able to get it work, plus it doesn't allow you to forward more than one port to a single host, say for instance i wanted to pass telnet and ssh... icon_sad.gif

dtlokee wrote:
    I use a Linksys RV042 router at home and I establish a VPN to the router to access the home rack. If you have a terminal server hooked to your routers, you could set up your Internet router to forward telnet to the IP address of the term server then you can connect to all the devices. This is not the most secure configuration, but it works. Make sure you have the terminal server password protected of course, or you could configure it for SSH then forward SSH to the term server.

This is the desired setup, since I'd like to be able to access another machine as well, but the Speadstream doesn't have the functionality to establish a VPN. I'm using a 2509 as my TS, so getting a telnet/ssh session to it won't be a problem, once I can get access from outside...

I've been toying with the idea of getting a WIC-1ADSL card and slip it in my 1760 or 2610, with this I should be able to establish VPN and I can also configure firewall and access-lists on it as well, but I haven't seen one of these cards for under $150 (...and that's the cost of 2 or 3 more pieces of equipment)

RD
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Netstudent wrote:
    Do you have DSL or Cable modem for internet? I'v tried this with my Linksys WRT, but with no success. Did you forward the port under the gaming and applications menu??? This interests me because I would like to get mine to work as well. Maybe mine didn't work because I didn't put the IP for my computer in the DMZ. Does your FTP server have a private IP?

I use UltraVNC with an encryption plug-in.

I also could not get the ip forwarding to work until I entered the private IP of my server in the DMZ. Try that. And yeah, in the Gaming and Applications menu.
    r_durant wrote:
    This is the desired setup, since I'd like to be able to access another machine as well, but the Speadstream doesn't have the functionality to establish a VPN.

I'd like to get this to work as well, but after numerous hours spend tinkering with VPN (the WRT is supposed to support VPN tunnel termination) I went with the non-vpn solution of FTP.

EDIT: Sorry durant... mis-deleted some stuff.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Mike...you misquoted dtlokee below :) it was I who said...

I'll try putting my private address in the DMZ as well and see what happens, we all know different devices sometimes have similar options, but can work differently, but it's worth a try...

Thanks,
    RD