PST Repair tool

neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
Anyone know of a good PST repair tool, other then the one provided in xp. Especially for larger PST files that are not as stable. I have one that is 8GB, and everytime I link it into outlook 2003 it locks up outlook. I did a repair and it came out okay, but after the repair adding it back in caused outlook to lock up again..any other tools or methods?
1's and 0's

Comments

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Is it outlook 2007?

I had a similar issue. I seem to remember creating a new pst file for the user and then repairing the old one and importing the information.

It was one of my last service calls at my old job so I dont know if the problem persisted after that.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had all sorts of hassle with Microsoft Outlook

Spell Checkers Not working, PST files Courrupting , User's losing Contacts

So In the end I threw in in the bin and setup a Thunderbird system using IMAP much better!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Give this a whirl. Run the PST repair on your 8GB file and make sure the box is checked that asks you if you want to make a backup. This *.bak file should save in default office pst location, otherwise just manually save it to your desktop.

After the PST repair process is complete, move the 'repaired' PST file to a temp folder somewhere and put the *.bak file in its place. Rename to *.pst and open that file.

Works for me I'd say about 95% of the time when the PST repair tool fails. Good luck
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    WOW, 8 GIGS is totally Huge!!!

I know with Office 2003 it suggest you don't go over 2 GIGS. In our environment, and most others I assume, you would have to edit the registry to allow for a PST larger than 2 GIGS; for Office 2003. Dunno about 2007 with that.

Is this yours or someone else's PST file? I would strongly suggest using multiple PST files, and storing them on a server somewhere, which is an option in the organization I work in.

Opening Outlook with a PST file that big is just silly. Sure you can do it, especially with todays processors. But Outlook isn't that great of program to be opening Databases that big. Yes a PST file is essentially a database file just doesn't share the exact same structure.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup, anything over 2G will cause big problems.
    Have you tried the built-in PST repair?

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\SCANPST.EXE
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen a 23GB PST file. Thank God those days are over, we're using Enterprise Vault now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    outlook 2003 has a 20gb pst limit its outlook xp and before that has a 2gb issue. you can try ontrack ez recovery professional it has a outlook recovery and it works good.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    outlook 2003 has a 20gb pst limit its outlook xp and before that has a 2gb issue. you can try ontrack ez recovery professional it has a outlook recovery and it works good.

Also of note, ExMerge falls under the 2GB limitation, too. icon_sad.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    blargoe wrote:
    I've seen a 23GB PST file. Thank God those days are over, we're using Enterprise Vault now.

I know in our organization Outlook freaks out when you try to go larger than 2gigs on them PSTs. Don't know if that is some policy in place or what.

Also we use Enterprise Vault, but you can't ever get anyone to use it. Still love using them PSTs. And when you have an HD Failure when the user puts there PSTs on the device and not on their Network Share; WATCH OUT!!!

I've seen people go balistic when you tell them that the Company won't pay for data recovery because of how low level they were; just don't want to spend the money on someone. Pitty
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    This is a problem I see often as an Exchange Consultant. Often times it hard to repair pst over 5gigs with the Microsoft Tool; although Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 are creating more stable pst file. Many of tools, free or paid, simply don't work. Don't waste your money and time!!

Suggestion, create a new PST file and perform a import from the old pst to the new pst. I have had about 80% success rate with this method. Additionally you need to stress the importance of a archive system to your company.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    1. Find >2 year old thread on PST files
    2. Sign up to forum, plug company's software (really. 1.5 megs for 3 screen shots?)
    3. ...
    4. Profit.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Unless one of the posts in here was deleted...hypnotoad = precog?
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Unless one of the posts in here was deleted...hypnotoad = precog?

1. Find > 3 year old thread on PST files
    2. Confusion en masse
    3. Funny replies
    4. Profit with lolcoin
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    phoeneous wrote: »
    1. Find > 3 year old thread on PST files
    2. Confusion en masse
    3. Funny replies
    4. Profit with lolcoin

Now THIS is really weird because it looks like I res'd a 2 month old thread, while not so bad on it's own I normally would not have done such a thing had it not showed up in Today's Posts this morning.

TE is acting wonky...the threads I post in/view aren't changing like they normally do.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ditto that - replying right now because it showed up in MY Today's Posts. Weird.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2007!  Awesome!