INTRO tomorrow

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
Last minute question as I do my studying.

I'm using the kaplan self test software and noticed that when a question asks for useable subnets it marks answers wrong that make use of the first and last subnet. I was under the impression that ip-subnet zero was assumed to be on, am I wrong in my assumption?

When I get a question, such as "you have an ip address 192.168.1.0 /24, list the first 2 available subnets?"

Should I answer 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 OR is it 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.3.0? Thanks for the last minute help.

Comments

• bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck...

Always assume that sub-net zero is turned off. Do not use the first and last subnet.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bearfan wrote:
    Good luck...

Always assume that sub-net zero is turned off. Do not use the first and last subnet.

This is no longer the case on the CCNA exams, you should assume that ip subnet-zero is on and all subnets are useable. The official courseware uses 2**s to calculate the number of subnets (no longer2**s - 2) and of course it is still 2**h - 2 when calculating the number of hosts. Either way it will be obvious in the questions what they are looking for.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Thanks! I wish the self test software was kept up to date. I just ordered this 2 weeks ago, lol.
    UPDATE: Passed w/ 916. Test wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. Matter of fact my first sim got all screwy. When I was going back through to verify my config the text kept overlapping and deleting wouldn't work. I had the test proctor put my on another machine and she said if I failed they'd comp me a voucher (being that it took nearly 5 minutes to get me back up and running) b/c I was pressed for time as it was. I was on number 7 of 42 and only had 50 minutes left. I was really prepared b/c after the sim got worked out I finished the test w/ 15 minutes remaining.
  • Noe84Noe84 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice job, congrats!
    On to MCSA 2003.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    Test wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be.
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Don't worry, ICND will probably more than make up for it by being harder than you expect. :D So study extra hard!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    Test wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be.
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Don't worry, ICND will probably more than make up for it by being harder than you expect. :D So study extra hard!

Haha, just what I like to here. Hope to take ICND before the end of August when I start classes again.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on the ICND! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Congrads -

Sorry I steered you wrong on the subnet zero question. Fortunately, I got no questions on the Intro exam where it mattered.

I've just begun studying for ICND after passing Intro July 23. I find ACL's and Spanning-Tree difficult, but it will eventually sink in.
  • gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
    CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PASS
    ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
    you'll never get it done"
  • Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Good going! I must admit, I'm jealous with your score, as I've failed the INTRO twice now. Best I got was 800. Considering how well you did, I'm sure you'll do well on the ICND, too.
  • mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
    Well in mate... good luck with the ICND!
    Matt of England