Checking in for the exam

tottstotts Member Posts: 117
I spoke to a representative from a test centre today, I asked how long you get to sit at your terminal before the exams starts. I was told that at the very moment you sit down the exam starts (I presume this is the survey followed by the exam). The representative went on to say that if you want to **** any notes onto your eraserboard, then this is to be done once your exam has already started.

I thought you could arrive a little early to collect yourself and jot down a couple of notes if you wished. Can anyone add what their experience was?
totts from essex

Comments

• kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    It's not true...they give you time to do a survey and answer a few practice questions. They time you on that but once your ready for the exam you hit start and your time starts.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The administrator may log you in, but you will still need to click on the start exam button (they are not allowed to do this for you because it would involve them accepting the NDA before they can). After they log you in take all the time you like to **** your notes on the noteboard. The only problem I've seen is lots of test centers are using dry erase markers anymore which have a fat tip on them and it's tough to write small.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah DTLokee that is exactly correct. The damn fat tip markers... ! I write one IP down on the thing and its taking up the half the page...
  • datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    LOkrasa wrote:
    Yeah DTLokee that is exactly correct. The damn fat tip markers... ! I write one IP down on the thing and its taking up the half the page...

Don't leave the cap off as well...those cheap markers.
    Arrakis
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My test is coming up very very soon.

1. Would they say antyhing if you brought your own thin tip dry erase marker in to the exam and just didn't say anything? Then bust it out when the questionnaire starts.

2. What about asking for 2 or 3 sheets of plastic??
    **EDIT**
    3. Lastly, besides subnetting information like CIDR values, subnetmasks, #of subnets/hosts, what else did you all write on the sheet?

IN the CCNA prep center videos, one of those test writers that are on there said when he took the CCNA exam, someone had written all the notes in a permanent marker. The test center guy gave it to him anyways with everything already written down on the sheet.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    My test is coming up very very soon.

1. Would they say antyhing if you brought your own thin tip dry erase marker in to the exam and just didn't say anything? Then bust it out when the questionnaire starts.

2. What about asking for 2 or 3 sheets of plastic??

3. Lastly, besides subnetting information like CIDR values, subnetmasks, #of subnets/hosts, what else would be beneficial to write onto the sheet???

IN the CCNA prep center videos, one of those test writers that are on there said when he took the CCNA exam, someone had written all the notes in a permanent marker. The test center guy gave it to him anyways with everything already written down on the sheet.

Not sure if 3 will violate NDA>..just heads up.

As for thin tip marker...def something I'd like to know about as well.
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For my Intro test, I brought my own dry erase marker with a smaller tip. I told the proctor I found this more comfortable to use than the fat tip markers, and asked if I could use my own marker instead. She said I could use my own marker.

I didn't know if that would be allowed either - that's why I asked. I didn't feel comfortable not asking
  • tottstotts Member Posts: 117
    Thanks a lot for your replies. I feel a bit more comfortable about it now as I've timed myself and it takes me about 10 minutes to write out my host + subnet numbers and all the other little things that are insane but help me remember stuff.
    totts from essex
  • SouthPawTechSouthPawTech Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally I hate the dry erase stuff - being lefthanded it gets all smudged and just wastes my time. Can anyone tell me what was wrong with the pencil and paper aproach (aside from trying to reduce paper waste etc)
    oh, and good luck taking your own marker in - last time i went for this type of exam, they stopped short of actually doing a pat down - i even had to take off my watch (not sure how that might have helped me :o
    thats insane!! Thats why i'm apprehensive to say anything about the marker. I mean are they really going to make a big deal about bringing in my own marker? Not trying to be a rebel here but come on.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • SouthPawTechSouthPawTech Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    maybe i just look like a criminal icon_confused.gif
  • bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is what I did. I showed the test proctor my 2 dry erase markers. I told her I brought my own because I found the smaller ones easier to write with and because during the Network+ test their markers were pretty dried out which was true. She allowed them.

I personally did not feel comfortable bringing anything into the test room I didn't tell them about.

She did take my cell phone, watch, and wallet.
    hmmm..maybe I'll take that approach because I don't want to break the rules or jeapordize a passing score over a damn dry erase marker. icon_lol.gif
  • markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    So I'm guessing I should leave out my surveilance ear-piece and tell my buddy in the van outside to just forget it? Sheesh. icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I hate the dry erase stuff - being lefthanded it gets all smudged and just wastes my time. Can anyone tell me what was wrong with the pencil and paper aproach (aside from trying to reduce paper waste etc)
    oh, and good luck taking your own marker in - last time i went for this type of exam, they stopped short of actually doing a pat down - i even had to take off my watch (not sure how that might have helped me :o

Paper and pencil are easier to take stuff, aka questions, out with. That's the only thought that hits my mind with that.
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    Right, you cannot use a paper/pencil because they are afraid you could take your notes during the exam with you when you leave.

Some centers are stricter than others, but I asked for a couple extra dry erase boards and an extra marker in case one died during the exam (it did), and they complied.
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I beleive your not allowed to right anything down until the exam starts and the survey is over....I am not 100% sure though
    Ya thats not true. If a test center tries to tell you that, then tell them that is not required by cisco. You can write anything down you want during that time. This all comes from the Cisco videos that were created by the guys who write the tests and make the rules.
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    Ya thats not true. If a test center tries to tell you that, then tell them that is not required by cisco. You can write anything down you want during that time. This all comes from the Cisco videos that were created by the guys who write the tests and make the rules.

Net...are these videos under the Prep Center?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
    yes in the prep center under Exam study.

CCNA Videos
    Preparing to take the CCNA Examination

under that single title there will be like 3 or 4 videos. One is preparing for the exam, one is ACL, one is STP, and the last is simulations.

Then aside from that there are other vidoes to choose from on the exam study page.