SQL Server 2005 question

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I just got done doing an install of SQL Server 2005. I was about to update to either SP1 or SP2.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with Service Pack2, or is it okay just to jump directly to it versus SP1?

Any educated comments would be appreciated.

Thanks icon_wink.gif
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only thing I know in regards to SQL 2005 SP2 is that it is not supported if you are installing SCOM.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. So if you are installing SCOM SP1 is preferred?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Correct. The prerequisite check even tells you it wants SP1. I then did some digging online and saw that SQL 2005 SP2 is not supported for SCOM at the current moment. This of course could change any day.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    yea somewhere around the time when SQL Server 2008 is released! :)

I made the mistake of installing SCOM on SQL 2005 SP2. DON'T DO IT!!! (if you're planning on installing an SCOM database or reporting).

Otherwise, check with the vendor of the application that you're using that needs a database on your SQL Server. Generally, there aren't any issues that I have seen, but keep in mind you can't roll back without a reinstall and the database backups between sp versions are incompatible.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    The software I am planning to use requires that reporting services be installed with SQL 2005. SO, are you saying there are issues with SP2? The company said they have not had any problems that they are aware of with sp2. Does not necessarily mean anything though. icon_wink.gif

Not specifically problems with sp2, just SCOM 2007 when used with SP2. You should be fine.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Okay great! Thanks for the update. I have sp2 sitting here waiting to install but didn't want to jump the gun till I was sure...

Thanks icon_wink.gif