Options

Has anyone used this book for 70-290 (complete with DVD) ?

pjrousepjrouse Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932266607/ref=cm_mp_wli_/026-5162541-5779664?coliid=I2SD4V8RC84BLE

Mcsa/Mcse Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment (Exam 70-290): Study Guide & DVD Training System
Thomas W. Shinder (Editor), Debra Littlejohn Shinder (Editor), Jeffery Martin (Editor)

The DVD aspect of this really appeals to me as I find instructor led training suits my learning style more than just text book reading.

If anyone has experience of using this type of material I would be grateful to hear your feedback.

I'm just about to start studying for 70-290 after passing Network+ and 70-210 in the last 5 months, and have found the Mike Myers certification passport books to be very good, when supplemented with a larger text from MS Press.

Thanks

Paul
VCP5-DCV
MCSE Server 2012
MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Server 2008
Network+

Comments

• Options
    gregcordlegregcordle Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about this paticular book but I do like other books and articles by the Shinders. I read Tom's book about ISA server and found it to be very thourough. Also, Deb writes articles for other web sites including cramsession. com. If you want to see some of his articles you can check out www.isaserver.org or sybex.com has some of his PDF's available to purchase.

I would buy it because of Deb and Tom, the DVD is bonus.

Good Luck.

Greg
  • Options
    pjrousepjrouse Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gregcordle wrote:
    I don't know about this paticular book but I do like other books and articles by the Shinders. I read Tom's book about ISA server and found it to be very thourough. Also, Deb writes articles for other web sites including cramsession. com. If you want to see some of his articles you can check out www.isaserver.org or sybex.com has some of his PDF's available to purchase.

I would buy it because of Deb and Tom, the DVD is bonus.

Good Luck.

Greg

Seems the DVD (the main reason I was considering this book) isnt that great according to the reviews on Amazon.com (see below)

The book is good (Skip the DVD), November 4, 2003

Reviewer: A reader from Sterling, VA United States

The book is written pretty well and is easy to read. The subject matter is appropriate for the book. I feel that I should be able to face the certification test after reading this book and a little practice with the exam simulations. My one problem with this book is the DVD. The DVD feature is one of the main reasons I was swayed to purchase this book instead of others in the category. The DVD leaves a lot to be desired. The DVD is basically the instructor going over the book material while flipping through power point slides. You can get the same information in more detail from the book. If the vendors really wanted to make this a 5 star product they would include the exercises from the book on the DVD. Give us something more than we can get from the book. If you guys just wanted to play with DVD authoring, do it at home! Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I'll see if I can find a copy to browse through before buying.

Paul
    VCP5-DCV
    MCSE Server 2012
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Server 2008
    Network+
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I personally don't buy into offers like that. Books with accompanying CD's are only benifitial if the CD/DVD contains something that's not in the book. I was lured a few days ago into buying a book by Sybex for the CCNA exam Study Guide with an accompanying router simulator application. I mean.. the book by itself costs less than half that price. I figurd out I was better off buying the book by itself and then purchasing a real router separately. Matter of fact, a friend of mine gave me a router for free!

And in your case.... I don't think an instructor going over the book in power point slides will give you anything more than you'll actually understand from the book itself.

just my 2c! icon_wink.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.