Options

Transcender and their acronyms...

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Ive been using transcender for my practice exams and I have noticed that they love using Acronyms for EVERYTHING. This is all fine and good, except sometimes their acronyms differ from the study material or I just draw a blank. Im getting better with more study and time, but it does get a little frustrating.

I know on MS exams, they have both the acronym and full name in most their questions. Does the Sec+ exam have the same habits as its Transcender counterpart?
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    snadam wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Ive been using transcender for my practice exams and I have noticed that they love using Acronyms for EVERYTHING. This is all fine and good, except sometimes their acronyms differ from the study material or I just draw a blank. Im getting better with more study and time, but it does get a little frustrating.

I know on MS exams, they have both the acronym and full name in most their questions. Does the Sec+ exam have the same habits as its Transcender counterpart?
    From what I have seen, if, on the exam, you run into an acronym that you should not know, the exam will define it for you.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Can you give us some examples?
  • Options
    Can you give us some examples?

Sure thing! This wasnt the exact question, but in general this is what it asked:

"In kerberos, what is a special Kerberos ticket issued by the Authentication Server of a Key Distribution Center that permits the client to obtain additional Kerberos tickets transparently?"

a) PGP
    b) PKI
    c) TGT
    d) KDC

The answer is Ticket Granting Ticket (c) and have I known that there even was an acronym for it, I probably would have guessed c.

As I said before, this is not the exact question/answers, but its close enough for this example.

In my reading of Kerberos, I never seen Ticket Granting Ticket referred to as TGT yet. I understand that its probably an acronym I should know for the exam. However, I feel that if the acronyms are explained, you'd have a better understanding of what youre up against.

I was just wondering if the actual exam was similar to this.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    matradley wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    From what I have seen, if, on the exam, you run into an acronym that you should not know, the exam will define it for you.

cool, I hope youre right.

• Options
    ksimpsonksimpson Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mquestions had it spelle dout foe me. (*Like it didnt know that they were talking about! haHa)

it was mainly like...

blah blah blah TGT (Ticking Granting Ticket) Blah blah Blah.
    <b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
    WIP: Network+
    Next: CCNA
  • Options
    ksimpsonksimpson Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes! TGT is the correct acro for the term!
    <b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
    WIP: Network+
    Next: CCNA
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    The reason why I knew about KDC and TGT was because I have taken a course on Server 2003 so I am used to the terminology. I believe the KDC was brought up in further studying.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    It has been some time since i took the security+ and i honestly cannot remember how often they used the acronyms with or without a description.

On a side not those are all very basic and general security terms that most administrators let alone someone studying security can identify and atleast explain what it is used for.

So anytime you run across an acronym and cant instantaneously identify it I would take the time to look it up and learn what it means. It may or may not be covered on the exam, but this is all supposed to be a learning experience. Additionally if you choose to further yourself in security rest assured it will probably pop up again.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I too had some tough practice questions that seemed beyond the material in the textbooks.
    Any additional information helps. If it's in any of my study material, I figure it's fair game.
    Don't assume that they will define it on the test. They're out to get you. They're evil that way.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    On a side not those are all very basic and general security terms that most administrators let alone someone studying security can identify and atleast explain what it is used for.

yea I figured that I will need to study up on the acro's. I normally know my acronyms. I wont get a kerberos question wrong like that one again. It would be painful to know I would get a question like that wrong all because of the acronym throwing me off. It struck me as odd when they did not define what each acronym was, or just used the acronym instead of its full name on the transcender exams. Its all good though because I WILL/DO prepare for something like this icon_cool.gif