Passed - 2nd attempt

HemisFearHemisFear Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
All,

Just a quick note that I passed with flying colors the second time I took the exam. Now personally, I'm not nearly overjoyed about this due to the following:

1. The questions were completely different than the first time I took it.
2. A couple of UNIX questions
3. Only 1 Novell question

This time around the exam was much more on what I had anticipated the first time around rather than seemingly 20-25% of Novell jargon (who in the hell actually uses Novell anymore anyway? I know it's out there...but seriously, you WANT to work in this enviornment?)

If you study hard and have a relative understanding of network topology along with some cramming you can do very well. That being said, remember the lesson I learned the first time I took the exam, just because they give you boundaries of what topics might be covered, it doesn't mean that they won't focus on one area more than another and you had better be strong in it.

Translation, study and learn hard. Take nothing for granted.

Regards!
---===The darkest hour is just before the dawn of day===---

Comments

• mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great Job, what materials,Websites did you use?
    I have spent the last few weeks studying Unix/Linux and Novell. I think I have a pretty good handle on PAP,CHAP,EAP,RDP,RADIUS, ptables – Tables , Chains and Rules.
    I am getting 95 percent's on Techexams.net quiz questions and 85 percent on my PrepLogic test Prep stuff. Soon I shalll take this test. Any other advise ?
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • HemisFearHemisFear Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the Sybex book, Transcender exams and flashcards appropriately. I've actually been in this business for eight years and was furious about failing the first time due to this being somewhat of an entry level exam. This is why I wanted to pound home that you can't take anything for granted. I walked in the first time around acting like the test was a joke and walked out with my tail between my legs.

This time though it all worked out.
    ---===The darkest hour is just before the dawn of day===---
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations! It is not unusual for people to have an entirely different question set. When I took my A+ with several other people in my class, they had different sets of questions. So, four of us took the exam simultaneously and four of us had different questions. This shows that CompTIA has quite a large pool of questions to pull from.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not surprised you got a diff batch of questions, Comptia has so many to pick from. I'm glad you did manage to pass. :)
  • ksimpsonksimpson Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All,

Just a quick note that I passed with flying colors the second time I took the exam. Now personally, I'm not nearly overjoyed about this due to the following:

1. The questions were completely different than the first time I took it.
    2. A couple of UNIX questions
    3. Only 1 Novell question

This time around the exam was much more on what I had anticipated the first time around rather than seemingly 20-25% of Novell jargon (who in the hell actually uses Novell anymore anyway? I know it's out there...but seriously, you WANT to work in this enviornment?)

If you study hard and have a relative understanding of network topology along with some cramming you can do very well. That being said, remember the lesson I learned the first time I took the exam, just because they give you boundaries of what topics might be covered, it doesn't mean that they won't focus on one area more than another and you had better be strong in it.

Translation, study and learn hard. Take nothing for granted.

Thanks for the headsUp!! :) I'm new at taking/studing for these exams! I just attempted my 1st cert exam (Security+) yesterday and did better than I thought.
    <b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
    WIP: Network+
    Next: CCNA
  • justus1justus1 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    Congrats, and just for your information, a lot of hospitals use Novell as their network.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)
  • mastercormmastercorm Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah, i work at a hospital and we use novell.
    Working towards MCSE w/Security, then CCNA, then CCSP, and, eventually CISSP
    Congrats, and just for your information, a lot of hospitals use Novell as their network.

And Universities! I work at one and we use Novell. lol

mgmguy1 wrote:
    Great Job, what materials,Websites did you use?
    I have spent the last few weeks studying Unix/Linux and Novell. I think I have a pretty good handle on PAP,CHAP,EAP,RDP,RADIUS, ptables – Tables , Chains and Rules.
    I am getting 95 percent's on Techexams.net quiz questions and 85 percent on my PrepLogic test Prep stuff. Soon I shalll take this test. Any other advise ?

From what I have read, the exam has alot of sceniaro questions. I just downloaded the PrepLogic Practice test engine and it looked very good. I only answer about ten and most of them were sceniaro questions. Maybe you might look in to that. I hope they offer that free voucher deal agian because it's vey well worth it. I bought the practice question for the Security+ exam and got the free voucher. Not bad gig.

Anyways, Happy Studying!!