Simulating RRAS tasks?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any suggestions how i can simulate tasks for this section of the exam? All i really have (realistically available) is one machine running vmware.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    What resources do you use for study?
    I use the MsPress book, and it has nice practice exercise where you only need 2 virtual machines.

What i do beside of this, is making little scenarios, with one fake company and a fake isp, i draw out a little network (all in vmware).

I have 2gig of memory, and can virtualize 7 machines, with each 256MB of virtual RAM.

The good thing with vmware is you can draw and redraw a network, without the battle with the cabling you would have with real machines.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im using sybex to read from at the mo.

it has practicals on it but its only really part scenarios i feel. i.e "this is how you setup RRAS for VPN and dial up" etc. it doesnt have a full excercise where you can configure both the client and server side to make a fully working examples. does the mspress book have this?

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nel wrote:
    Does anyone have any suggestions how i can simulate tasks for this section of the exam? All i really have (realistically available) is one machine running vmware.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

If you configure another machine running in VMWare you may be able to do it that way. With one machine you can still configure RRAS which is the most important part anyway In my opinion.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so has any1 got any links on how to do this in vmware? ive googled and found nothing. i understand how to set it up etc but i want to see it working so i can relate to it?

cheers

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi nel,

what are you trying to accomplish? i think GeorgeMcFly22 has answered your Question.

create a simple drawing - maybe like this :

use 3 machines :
    xp vmware-host (nic1) subnet 10.1.1.0/24 ---> (nic1) w2k3 server vmware-guest (nic2) <--- (nic1) xp2 vmware-guest subnet 10.2.2.0/24

or
    use 4 machines :

xp vmware-host (nic1) --> (nic1)w2k3 guest (nic2) <---> (nic1) w2k3 guest (nic2) <--- (nic1) xp guest

left subnet : 10.0.0.0/24
    middle subnet : 10.1.1.0/24
    right subnet : 10.2.2.0/24

get a static route, activate RIP or OSPF, create a NAT, PAT, redirection of IIS or FTP, IPSEC VPN etc.

have a nice try.

HTH,
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Nel,

This is the setup that I used within VMWare that worked out great for me.

I had (3) Windows Server 2003 servers. Two DCs and one member server. One DC hosted a parent domain with an AD-Integrated DNS zone and secondary zone for the child domain, the child domain hosted its own primary DNS zone as well as a Stub zone for the parent domain.

The member server and the child DC were both configured as RRAS servers and routed traffic between the two domains, which were hosted on different subnets. The member server also hosted WSUS for both domains as well as a WAN internet connection (bridged VMWare.)

Within each domain I also had one Windows XP Professional computer as well.

It worked out pretty well, I was able to mess around with a majority of the concepts from the books. If you need any more info, let me know.

Network Diagram

Contoso.com
    10.0.0.0/24
    Server01
    DC
    DNS (AD-Integrated, Secondardy zone for finance)
    DHCP
    Server02
    RRAS (Persistant VPN Connection to server03)
    WSUS
    Windows XP Prof.

finance.contoso.com
    10.0.1.0/24
    Server03
    DC
    DNS (Primary standard, Stub zone for parent)
    DHCP
    RRAS
    Windows XP Prof.
  • GeekingGeeking Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everlife,

I am not sure if i completely understand the Network side of it.
    IE: Gateway and what Ipaddy you use as the Public DNS service.
    How you keep it from confilcting with other systems on the network.

Thanks
  • alharlandalharland Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use vmWare to simulate RRAS tasks from the MS Press 291 book. It works perfectly for me using the following method:

1. Add a serial port for you virtual machines. Ensure that you select the setting called "Named Pipe" and also " this is the server end" or "this is the client end". I setup Computer1 as the client, and Computer2 as the server, but I'm sure it doen't really matter what way around you do it.

2. Start the virtual machines, and install & configure the modem for each computer. Run the add hardware wizard and install a new modem. Choose the one listed as "comminication cable between two machine using serial ports".

3. Now your ready to complete the RRAS tasks. All you need to do now is setup RRAS at the server and client end.

I hope this helps.

Adam.
  • rewindrewind Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alharland wrote:
    I use vmWare to simulate RRAS tasks from the MS Press 291 book. It works perfectly for me using the following method:

1. Add a serial port for you virtual machines. Ensure that you select the setting called "Named Pipe" and also " this is the server end" or "this is the client end". I setup Computer1 as the client, and Computer2 as the server, but I'm sure it doen't really matter what way around you do it.

2. Start the virtual machines, and install & configure the modem for each computer. Run the add hardware wizard and install a new modem. Choose the one listed as "comminication cable between two machine using serial ports".

3. Now your ready to complete the RRAS tasks. All you need to do now is setup RRAS at the server and client end.

I hope this helps.

Adam.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but am trying to do this exact thing for dial-up labs for 70-291. I did your steps exactly, but when I try to add a new dial-up connection in lists the modem as unavailable. Did you have this problem? Any advice or tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
    -Chris