Emailing Resume`

matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
I stopped by the office of an ISP and talked to the lady about the possibility of getting a job. She gave me her email address and told me to email the resume` to her and she would see to it the owner got it. It's a small operation (<5 people) so this didn't surprise me.

What format should I email it in? Word? .rtf? .txt?

I want them to be able to open and read it easily.

Comments

• chelchchelch Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would use microsoft word. If you have your resume formatted all nicely those other programs might not keep the format you have in word. Also word is used by just about everyone.
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Do you guys think it's appropriate to list below the certifications that I currently hold that I'm studying for MCSA/MCSE?

Or should I just list A+ and Net+ with no mention of my current studies.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, definitely Word. And sure, list your studies, also include when you plan to take your first MS exam, hence your MCP exam, and which one that is.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Generally speaking,

If you are emailing a resume, send it in word format, unless requested not to. Alot of websites like Monster.com, require you to apply for the job in plain text. But generally they state that..
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    ....and the anxiety that comes with applying for a job.... make sure you attach the file and don't send a blank email icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif. I know a friend who did that and they probably thought he was a bit 2 careless. icon_cry.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I actually sent the wrong resume to the people whom just hired me. I had to resend it. ;)
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    Another fancy tip is to not name your document resume.doc :P
    You can do something excellent like "Resume Lastname, Firstname -- <position applied for>.doc"

Imagine being HR and having 300 documents "resume.doc" on your hard drive! It frightens me
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Sartan wrote:
    Another fancy tip is to not name your document resume.doc :P
    You can do something excellent like "Resume Lastname, Firstname -- <position applied for>.doc"

Imagine being HR and having 300 documents "resume.doc" on your hard drive! It frightens me

That's a great one Sartan. I'll definetly use it if I do send a resume by email. icon_lol.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    chelch wrote:
    I would use microsoft word. If you have your resume formatted all nicely those other programs might not keep the format you have in word. Also word is used by just about everyone.

Really? Word? I have heard of so many HR people still using Office 97/2000 and resumes in the newer versions not opening up because people didn't save them with the right backward compatibility options.

I personally prefer sending out pdf or html versions since you can save Word documents in html format. [I had to get a little work done on it so that it works on Netscape and Opera as well]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.