Study materials

rkirkrkirk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been goin over the tech notes on this site and they are helpful however I'm wondering if any one can recommend a good book that I can use in conjunction with tech notes. Also does it make more sense to obtain network+ before security+ or does it matter. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Comments

• dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the network+ exam about 10 months ago. I used the Network+ Study guide fouth edition from Sybex. I thought it explained the subjects very well. I have not written the security+ but I would write the network+ exam first because the pass mark is much lower on it than the security+ exam.

Most people consider network+ an entry level certification so it would be a good way start your certification path.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Materials:
    Objectives from CompTIA
    TechNotes in PDF from here
    Meyers
    Sybex

NET+ is pretty straight forward. Shouldn't have any surprises nor should there be anything 'tricky'.

Doesn't matter if you take NET+ before SEC+...your choice. I'd recommend NET+ because it should be pretty easy if you have a fair amount of network experience, cabling, troubleshooting etc.. and have spanned some of the technologies (BNC days through some Fiber Optic). Certainly you can read about these things, but the more you've installed and handled...the better you'll understand the material for the exam.

Best wishes on your studies!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ksimpsonksimpson Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rkirk wrote:
    I have been goin over the tech notes on this site and they are helpful however I'm wondering if any one can recommend a good book that I can use in conjunction with tech notes. Also does it make more sense to obtain network+ before security+ or does it matter. Thank you in advance for the advice.

I dont really know. I just started taking these exams. I just passed the Security+ exam and it was my first one. I'm studying for the Net+ now. I'll probably study for about 2 months. lol

I hear alot about Sybex. I used a book I had at school. (i took a security class). Along with the TechNotes and Preplogic practice tests. I also used measureUp.
    <b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
    WIP: Network+
    Next: CCNA