Options

How different are the exams? (2006-versus older)

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I only ask because even though I work in IT, I'm getting ready to start a new job that will require some service calls. I've grown familiar with the work here and have kind of moved out of the hardware support role...

Will a read through my old "All-In-One" book be enough, or is it worth picking up a used copy of the 2006 guide and reading it?

I passed the exam in 2003, to give you an idea of the date.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    /usr wrote:
    I only ask because even though I work in IT, I'm getting ready to start a new job that will require some service calls. I've grown familiar with the work here and have kind of moved out of the hardware support role...

Will a read through my old "All-In-One" book be enough, or is it worth picking up a used copy of the 2006 guide and reading it?

I passed the exam in 2003, to give you an idea of the date.

I'm not clear at what you are asking???

If you have already passed the exam, there is no reason to re-take it.

Will a 2003 book be useful? Yes, to some extent, but you will be lacking all the newer technologies being tested...so it will just depend on how well you understand the material. Download the Objectives and review them to see if you know the material or if you need to review a bit more indepth....if so, yes you may find obtaining a Sybex book which covers 2006 objectives useful.

Still...if you've already passed...why take it again? Why not look at NET+ or some of the MCP exams?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Sorry I didn't explain clearly.

I have no intention of retaking the exam. I simply want to brush up on the material, more or less. I didn't know how much "new" material the 2006 book contained.

In other words, is it worth my $30 to get a copy of the 2006 book just to read and brush up, or should I just read my older version?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Of course....my mis-reading :)

I did. But I sort of wanted to have it on hand before the members started asking. I bought it new...but if you can obtain a slightly 'used' copy...all the better.

I didn't think there was a significant change...but I've worked with this material all the way through the changes...so it just doesn't seem extremely different, but if you'd like it and have the resources...go for it! (but I'm a book geek...so maybe I'm not the best to ask about purchasing books for reference ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?