CompTIA PDI+ beta [no longer available]

sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
It looks like CompTIA is coming out with another certification called PDI+. This one is for "Entry-level service and support technicians involved in the installation, connectivity, maintenance, repair and support of devices in printing and document imaging technologies." Beta testing started yesterday and lasts until August 31st 2007.

http://certification.comptia.org/pdi/default.aspx
Working on: MCSA 2012 R2

Comments

• WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    I can't see the real point of that certification, of the printers which I have replaced almost all cost more to repair or the cost difference to replacing a printer was so low that it made more sense to just replace the printer under a new guarantee. Also any other printer/plotter which wasn't aimed at consumer/SME was sold with a service contract therefore I never had any reason to go opening it up to fix it, not my job and it might invalidate the service contract also. Maybe if it was part of an A+ speciality but by itself I don't think it makes much sense.

Anything which I haven't been able to figure out myself I'll check the forum posts on this website which can point you in the right direction.
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

CompTIA certs are good but they don't enhance their reputation by creating certifications like TyingYourShoeLaces+, time will tell I suppose.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to agree with you on this one, It makes no sense. My HP Printer went bad and I went into best buy and showed them my service contact and they handed me a new printer and took the old one to be sent back to HP for either recycle or to be junked.

I think Comptia is trying to cash in the on certification game. Comptia certs are getting more expensive all the time. It's sad but greed is everywhere.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perhaps it leans more toward corporate laserjets

I know I'd rather replace a part on the 5si rather than replace the whole unit.

Even the picture on the comptia site shows an HP laserjet6 (I believe)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    This is definitely is geared towards corporate printer repairs. We have a contract at work with an outside company to provide repairs on our Copiers and Printers. When you are talking about a $20,000 copier/printer than it is better to have a Maintenance contract rather than replace the entire copier if something goes wrong.

Honestly, i think I would rather see a Wireless+ certification instead of this, that's just me though.
    Honestly, i think I would rather see a Wireless+ certification instead of this, that's just me though.

Agreed, but who am I to scoff at a free cert icon_lol.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It sounds like the CompTIA PDI+ is a companion cert to the the CompTIA CDIA+, which is a very hot cert in the electronic document imaging industry.
    drthtater wrote:

Agreed, but who am I to scoff at a free cert icon_lol.gif

Ah yes! But, it's only free for a short time and that is after they review and maybe accept your application to take the exam for free. I can only assume that they will be willing to take only people who are currently working in the field of printer/imaging repair. Although, I admit I have not yet looked at the application because that is not really my forte.
    I contacted CompTIA and receive a PDI+ promo code, submitted the beta exam applications, and I'm waiting for a reply (within five days). This is a more elaborate sign-up process than the DHTI+ beta exam had last year. It's probably to help insure that more people from the correct industries get in.

CompTIA Printing and Document Imaging (PDI+) Certification Examination Objectives
    JDMurray wrote:
    I contacted CompTIA and receive a PDI+ promo code, submitted the beta exam applications, and I'm waiting for a reply (within five days). This is a more elaborate sign-up process than the DHTI+ beta exam had last year. It's probably to help insure that more people from the correct industries get in.

CompTIA Printing and Document Imaging (PDI+) Certification Examination Objectives

I changed my mind a bit.... I decided to go through the application process myself... If I get a free attempt at the exam than it is worth the opportunity to obtain a new certification.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also contacted CompTIA for the promo code and filled out the application. When I looked at the objectives a good amount of stuff listed looked like things I did for the last company I worked for. Since it is entry level I assume the test won't be to in depth. Anyway a free cert exam is a free cert exam.
    I'll be signing up myself... I mean, hey, I'm not paying for it (If i get in) and it does sort of pertain to what I am doing now.
  • andygeeandygee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The PDI+ is aimed at the copier printer engineers and techs. Im sure there are a lot of them on here as many also study for networking qualfications. A+ and N+ are very common in the industry as most copiers are basically scanners, printers with fairly powerful pcs bulit in.

They are aiming it from what i have read at our industry but one many IT deparments deal with day in day out yet rarely realise how complex our machines are and how few of the functions are used by the average it department due to a lack of awareness. Morden MFP/printer techs have much in common with network techs and we could all learn a lot from one anothers fields.
  • RegretThinkRegretThink Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bit :P

I do deal with this type of stuff to an extent but mostly I am doing it just for the chance of being one of the first with a PDI+ lol
    I just received approval to take the PDI+ beta exam and a voucher number good at any Prometric testing center through August 14th. I'll sign up at my usual testing place for Saturday, August 11th. Prior to taking the exam, I'll probably put in a total of 1-2 hours of study time on printer service manuals and any other laser/inkjet printer resources I can find on the Web. After the exam, I'll write and post a full review of what I thought of it. It should be fun! :D
  • RegretThinkRegretThink Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long did it take for you to receive your reply that you got accepted to take this test?
    How long did it take for you to receive your reply that you got accepted to take this test?
    Less than a business day to get the promo code to sign up for the beta and another business day to get the voucher code to sign up for the exam. Don't forget to occasionally check your junk email folder for non-spam.
    So..... Has anyone else heard back from them yet? It's been a solid week since I filled out the application with the Code and I have not heard back. I suppose I'm just impatient.
    I haven't heard back from them and it has been a week for me also. It said to wait up to 5 business days which have passed for me. I just assumed I was not good enough for CompTIA to give a voucher code. icon_sad.gif
  • Bob KiwiBob Kiwi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, me too. And the four people I referenced to it as well icon_rolleyes.gif
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Contacted Comptia and received my promo code, sent away my application, and received my voucher code (acceptance) all in the same day.

Scheduled for August 14th.

I really hate printers , this may be my first failure!!!

Travis
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    theseman wrote:
    Contacted Comptia and received my promo code, sent away my application, and received my voucher code (acceptance) all in the same day.

Travis
    Did you call them or just through the regular electronic method? I have a friend at work who signed up for this and waited up to 3-business days.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It looks like a pretty worthwhile cert, to me, if you're interested in working on printers made by more than one vendor. (And yes, printer/fax repair and maintenence is definitely more geared towards corporate and business models, not so much the $99 home models.)

As for me, I'm staying far, far away from this cert. Working on printers takes me to a bad place, where new profanities are invented and I re-enact the 'Reservoir Dogs' parody from 'Office Space'.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    matradley wrote:
    theseman wrote:

Travis
    Did you call them or just through the regular electronic method? I have a friend at work who signed up for this and waited up to 3-business days.

Just via email, I was surprised by the response time.
    Guess I'm one of the unloved.

Which is funny, cause I work on printers icon_lol.gif
    I just recieved a promo code today, I was suprised to get one. I got the exam scheduled for tommorrow morning. I will let everyone know how it goes.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Hell, I'm in too. I haven't done a lot of repairs on anything with my new job, but I still remember a bunch of stuff. I also work with two guys who fix nothing but printers.....I'll have to cram for a few weeks.......free cert is a free cert....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Bob KiwiBob Kiwi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my authorization today as well, think I am going to put it off until closer to the cut off point, and try to study what the objectives are.

Though, to be honest, if I fail any test, failing a beta test I get to take for free with no targetted study materials won't make me feel too bad!
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I received my Promotion code and voucher code in the same day (today). I am taking the exam next Wednesday, 8 August. I think it will be interesting to do. Of course, we are advised that we should not study for this exam as they want to determine what we do with the questions.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
    theseman wrote:
    I really hate printers , this may be my first failure!!!Travis
    The exam is about printers and scanners.

And failing beta exams doesn't count. ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    The exam is about printers and scanners.

Scanners too, huh? I wonder if they dock points for failing to wipe the cheek-prints off the glass after you finish with the device. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
This discussion has been closed.