Options

Forum Growth

evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been on this forum for a few years now and I am always amazed by how many people are active. Kudos to the webmaster and moderators here. I am trying to start a website on interviewing techniques and I would like to start a forum as well but I am totally unfamiliar with how to promote a forum and seed good discussions. Can anyone give me some advice on how to develop a good forum that can be beneficial to those looking for jobs?
"You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Comments

• Options
    Anyone have some helpful advice for me?
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well I think what you just did was good. Advertise on popular fourums like this one to get the word out. If you get the site up let us know, I'll check it out. I am also impresed with this site. The fact that it is against cheating and braindumps unlike a lot of other forums is what sets it apart I think. Great job Webmaster, and good luck evanderburg.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I am a little cautious of posting about it on other boards because I do not want to be advertising for it on someone else's space but I will post one link later once the site is up.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, we don't even allow posts merely to promote another forum regardless of its topic, simply because our forums is not a link directory or promotion board for other forums. And for the same reason it's something that's in general not appreciated by any forum, more likely considered 'lame'. It's the spammers/shameless self-promotors way. So that's bad advice. What you should do instead is request good old link-exchanges. Before you can do that, you need to have good and original content. Once you got started and actually have something (content) to offer to visitors, let me know, and if I like what I see, I can find a place somewhere on TechExams.net to link to you.

As for starting forums in general, there are no tricks, just hard work and perseverance. Start small and keep things clean and on-topic. Especially starting a website just around a forum is hard, so try to offer your visitors more than just the forums. I.e. write articles, create link directory, etc.

And thanks for the comments about TechExams.net guys!
  • Options
    The main content will be regular articles and tips on interviewing but I wanted to start a forum as well to promote further conversation. Thanks for your advice. I will let you know when I have the site up.