Any books dedicated to Exchange migrations?

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've mostly done Exchange barebone installations. I'd like to learn more about migration strategies from Lotus, Groupwise, etc. using tools such as the migration wizard, Quest, etc... Pros and cons about using specific tools vs the others. I doubt there's a book on this, but worth asking instead of assuming.
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Brilliant question Royal.... I too would like to know a bit more on the subject, as we are about to start planning for a Migration from Lotus Domino 6 to Exchange 07 at work.....

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if it covers what you want, but the one Exchange book I keep meaning to pick up is
    icon_arrow.gifLearning Exchange Server 2003 by William Boswell

It's not written for the purpose of passing the exam, but rather on real world usage.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good book. I'll pick it up when the books sitting here on my shelf come out of my "Queue to Read." Thanks!
    royal wrote:
    when the books sitting here on my shelf come out of my "Queue to Read." Thanks!

I know what you mean. My book buying excursions far outpace my speed in reading them. If only we had a little cable you could plug in to the back of your head like in the Matrix. icon_lol.gif
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I think it's pretty much the same for all of us........ Currently I am reading two books but have another 6 on the shelf waiting to take their place.......

Sprky I have often contemplated what life would be like with on of those "behind the neck things" from the matrix........ :p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I have an older version of the following book and I'm sure the 2007 version is just as much a must-have as the older versions. As the one Mark mentioned this one is also not written for an exam.
    icon_arrow.gifwww.amazon.com/Microsoft-Exchange-Server-2007-Implementation/dp/1555583474/

The Exchange 2007 Pocket Consultant is another one not written as exam preparation but very useful as such regardless.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    royal wrote:
    when the books sitting here on my shelf come out of my "Queue to Read." Thanks!

I know what you mean. My book buying excursions far outpace my speed in reading them. If only we had a little cable you could plug in to the back of your head like in the Matrix. icon_lol.gif

That and being able to set up people's brains as replication partners!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Back with Exchange 5.5, I noticed a lot of the books had a chapter or two on migrations, but that seems to be less common with the newer books.

There is a section of information on Interoperability and Migration for Exchange 2003 at technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997840.aspx

It also looks like there are some articles at MSExchange.org.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Since the tools needed for migrating groupwise were not brought into Exchange 2007 and the ones for Lotus Notes are still in the works it's going to be very hard to find that info in Exchange 2007 books.

Of course it's going to be even harder to find discussion about third party products that do migrations in these books since most are solely focused just on Exchange 2007.

All I know to help you is that Quest makes the best Exchange migration software in my opinion and I am sure Quest has some white papers on the subject you could download.
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Its funny that you bring up quest, thats actually what we will be using in the near future to migrate both our NDS and Groupwise environment... I am hoping that it is pretty painless. Have you had any experience with them yet?
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
    CoryS wrote:
    Its funny that you bring up quest, thats actually what we will be using in the near future to migrate both our NDS and Groupwise environment... I am hoping that it is pretty painless. Have you had any experience with them yet?

We used Quest about 3 years ago to migrate from a stand alone NT4 domain to a larger AD 2003 enterprise environment. While we stayed on Exchange 5.5 at the time (we just migrated the domain from NT4 to 2K3) I have to say that the mailboxes were the one thing that didn't migrate well. We ended up doing a lot of that part the old fashioned way. For our current migration (now 3 years later) we are finally doing the Exchange portion (5.5 to 2003) but we are not using Quest, but a product by NetIQ. So far it's just so-so.
  • PdogPdog Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The organisation I work for are migrating from Domino to Exchange, 4000+ users. I have recently joined the Messaging team which comprises of a colleague and I.

Its down to me to get the migration carried out we are going to be using the MS Connector and Quest software to carry out the migration.

I have just passed my 70-291 2003 exam and the elective I am taking is Exchange 2003. Can anyone recommend any decent books for the exam? I have just purchased the Ms Press book, are their other books people could recommend as the Ms Press book is a couple of years old now. The Learning Exchange 2003 is a good book too for although it isn't solely geared towards the exam..

Thanks

Pdog
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Pdog wrote:

I have just passed my 70-291 2003 exam and the elective I am taking is Exchange 2003. Can anyone recommend any decent books for the exam? I have just purchased the Ms Press book, are their other books people could recommend as the Ms Press book is a couple of years old now. The Learning Exchange 2003 is a good book too for although it isn't solely geared towards the exam..

Thanks

Pdog

I recommend MCSE: Exchange Server 2003 Implementation and Management Study Guide (70-284) by Sybex for the exam and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Advanced Administration by Jim McBee to help you in your current job role.