Options

How long did you study for Linux+

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am planing to study for Linux+. I have little exp with Microsoft (windows 2000 and 2003). I use ubuntu like a hobby every day but using only the GUI.

How long did you study to complete and pass Linux+ ?

How many books did you use to study?

Raul
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I used the Sybex Book for Linux+ and TestOut. Prior to studying for this exam, I had minimal Linux/Unix experience., save for a little bit of playing around with SuSE in a networking class at school. All in all, it took me about three weeks, from start to finish, to prepare for and take the exam. I spent anywhere from an hour to four hours a day, three or four days a week, doing the TestOut and reading the book to reinforce the concepts I'd learned.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    get off the GUI and get on the CLI. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Command line is good, GUI is evil. Install Linux and make it your OS of choice while you study. I have Debian installed on my AMD 64 laptop and I have never looked back to windoze. Only reason why I would learn windoze now is because its the major OS running in any enterprise enviroment.
  • Options
    JR-13JR-13 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Command line is good, GUI is evil.

icon_lol.gif

Definitely use Slackware or Debian if you want to learn at the CLI. Force yourself to stick with either distro for one month and I guarantee your skills and chances to pass the Linux+ test will greatly improve -- or so my theory goes :)
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I use Debian on a daily basis

I would say install a network installtion of this distribution manually setup your internet settings using the command line then use aptitude to install the packages you require.

( Good learning curve )

What I then usually do is install XFCE ( lightweight gui ) and Iceweasel ( Firefox type browser )

If you want to learn about running a DHCP,Apache, Bind, FTP or just want to delve a little deeper into the world of Linux Administration but do not wish to complicate things by using the CLI then go ahead and download a small package called webmin :)

It's a web based interface for system administrators and it sure does make life easier !

Ive just starting out learning how to run simple Bash Scripts I will probally take the Linux+ in the near future.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "