CCNP before CCNA

axxonaxxon Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys!this is my first post here.
i am a fresh graduate . during my bachelors, CCNA was part of my curriculum and i passed all the 4 parts with more than 90% marks in all of them. the standard of the courses were exactly the same as the certification exam (we studied the CCNA books from ciso,used the cisco devices in the lab and our professor was an actual cisco instructor). so i can confidently say i know about CCNA stuffs really well.

i was supposed to take the CCNA exam right after my graduation,but then i thought y spend money for CCNA since i already know the stuffs..i can spend that money on CCNP exam(i dunno how many times i might need to take it...hehehe!!but sudnt b more than once.. icon_lol.gif )

nyway..thats y i opened this thread and chek out if it is possible to take CCNP exam without the CCNA certificate?i mean do they ask for ur CCNA certificate when u go and register for CCNP ?

any help will b really appreciated

Comments

• boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    You don't have to have the CCNA before the CCNP but NP is four exams not just the one or two with CCNA.

Regards,

:)
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    boyles23 wrote:
    You don't have to have the CCNA before the CCNP but NP is four exams not just the one or two with CCNA.

Regards,

This is wrong. You have to have a valid CCNA prior to being awarded the CCNP. You can take the CCNP exams until you're blue in the face but until you take the CCNA you won't get a CCNP certification out of it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Paul Boz wrote:
    boyles23 wrote:

Regards,

This is wrong. You have to have a valid CCNA prior to being awarded the CCNP. You can take the CCNP exams until you're blue in the face but until you take the CCNA you won't get a CCNP certification out of it.
    Indeed, CCNA is a prerequisite for the CCNP certification but not for the CCNP exams.

And if the knowledge you gained is still fresh you should not have a hard time passing the (current-) CCNA exam, making the money worth the certification itself (i.e. in case you're looking for a job before you get your CCNP).

And welcome on board!
  • axxonaxxon Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ohhhh....thanx guys!!thanx so much..haha!otherwise i ud hav gone down the wrong path..
    thnx for ur help...really appreciate it :D
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    dude, uschool cisco classes do not mean anything. cisco academy was good imo, but not for the a real exam
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I wanted to clarify one thing here, since my boss went through an odd process when pursuing his CCNP. His CCNA certification had expired, so he was, in effect, not CCNA certified during the time he took his CCNP tests. He had to retake this CCNA exam the day after he'd passed the last of the four CCNP exams, and he became CCNP certified. The point being, there's nothing stopping you from taking any Cisco exam, you're allowed to sit for any of them without any prior certification, you just don't receive the certification status until you've passed all the required and prerequisite exams for a cert.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • osiris69osiris69 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    I wanted to clarify one thing here, since my boss went through an odd process when pursuing his CCNP. His CCNA certification had expired, so he was, in effect, not CCNA certified during the time he took his CCNP tests. He had to retake this CCNA exam the day after he'd passed the last of the four CCNP exams, and he became CCNP certified. The point being, there's nothing stopping you from taking any Cisco exam, you're allowed to sit for any of them without any prior certification, you just don't receive the certification status until you've passed all the required and prerequisite exams for a cert.

icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: Why didn't your boss take one of the CCNP exams before his CCNA expired?
    THEN IT CANNOT EXPIRE if you pass it of course icon_confused.gif: icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • jrbrjrbr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone knows if that is still the case?
    I just failed my 300-115 CCNP Switch exam (by 10 points icon_sad.gif)and my CCNA expires next week. So no time to retake it before CCNA expires.
    Can I take the CCNP SWitch exam first (as things are still fresh on my mind) and renew my CCNA in the sequence? To later on pursue the Route and Tshoot exams?
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Professional level exams will only renew valid certifications. If it expires before you pass, it's back to the beginning.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mow wrote: »
    Professional level exams will only renew valid certifications. If it expires before you pass, it's back to the beginning.
    Yep but to renew if your CCNA is still valid, you only have to complete a single exam at the CCNP level...so for instance Switch would renew your CCNA certification...you don't have to finish the CCNP to renew.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    This is still the case. You can take the exams in whichever order, but won't get the certifications until you complete the prerequisites.

A certification can be renewed by passing any exam at the same or higher level. Once a certification lapses, then you are kind of stuck.

One option to short circuit this process is to complete CCIE, as this will act as a prerequisite for any lower exam, allowing you to gain CCNP levels without getting their corresponding CCNA.

If you do go down the CCNP exam before CCNA exam track, then I'd suggest doing the CCNA exams second to last. This will allow the final CCNP exam to reset the certification expiry for the CCNA. Eg, SWITCH, ROUTE, CCNAX, TSHOOT. Your CCNP and CCNA will both then expire 3 years after you complete TSHOOT.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM