Study habits, how long can you go and stay involved

CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
Hello.

I was curious how you maintain your focus once you start pounding the study materials not only as a way to cross reference others in an attempt to determine if my study habits are lacking or if maybe its just the way each of us stay invested in our materials in regards to our attention spans or our not-so-absorbing brains.

I tend to head to the library even though my place would make an ok environment, however this would be counter productive since I have so many distractions that would probably sway my focus. Once I get to the library if I have it with me I will break out the laptop and watch cbt's while taking notes or pound out the books.

My real question lies in the amount of time that I can actually handle this as even though I am away from distraction and in a quiet place, I still can only maintain about an hour and a half of good solid focus on my materials before my mind tends to glaze over. This is frustrating but once I reach that pinnacle of hardcore studying, I realize that its probably a good idea to leave and come back later or another day since I probably wont be retaining what I read/watch..

How about you? Do you have that same downfall? Is it my mind trying to escape from the exercise I am attempting to put it through???

Share your thoughts! :)
MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I was going to make a long post about all the things I do to remain motivated to study, but instead I'm going to go play a computer game now. Maybe I'll feel like posting about it later.

icon_wink.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I try to study about stuff that interests me. I tried to start studying security, but it was so hard to stay concentrated. I made it through the book, but it was not very easy. When I read about networking, which I usually spend about three to four hours a day doing between my CCNP studies and just general stuff on the internet and such. I usually have to make my self stop to go to bed. Well, the point of my story is if you are interested in something it will come eaisier. If your not really interested in it, any little thing will distract you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Im not wayneIm not wayne Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can normally sit and read for a few hours, but all I do is read the book and go for the test- so I wouldn't follow my method.
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

70-270- Book in progress
    70-290- coming soon
    70-291- coming soon
    70-293- coming soon
    70-294- coming soon
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    well it all depends on ur goals which i really dont like to have goals, but some people do anyways, just try to keep motivated and get some competition...i still got a long way to go i been studing for a year already not stop...the followings are next on my list
    70-290
    70-291
    CCDA
    70-293
    642-901 BSCI (ccnp)
    70-294
    642-812 BCMSN (ccnp)
    642-825 ISCW (ccnp)
    642-845 ONT (ccnp)
    dats just a few i wanna be done before im 24 CCIE when im 25 i hope.....
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    ilcram19 wrote:
    well it all depends on ur goals which i really dont like to have goals, but some people do anyways, just try to keep motivated and get some competition...i still got a long way to go i been studing for a year already not stop...the followings are next on my list
    70-290
    70-291
    CCDA
    70-293
    642-901 BSCI (ccnp)
    70-294
    642-812 BCMSN (ccnp)
    642-825 ISCW (ccnp)
    642-845 ONT (ccnp)
    dats just a few i wanna be done before im 24 CCIE when im 25 i hope.....
    Sounds like a packed schedule. Are you a student?
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • tjcassertjcasser Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CoryS wrote:
    How about you? Do you have that same downfall? Is it my mind trying to escape from the exercise I am attempting to put it through???

I do it in smaller chunks - about an hour at a stretch or so, and then a break for a little to refocus, get something to drink, et cetera. It's hard to stay motivated for long periods when you're trying to cram your brain full of those last bits... so work with it, not against it. :)
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: .Net Framework 2.0 Enterprise Applications
  • 5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good link for you
    http://www.studygs.net/

Me,
    I'm either watching nuggets, which I love watching anyway and never get bored of these.
    Or
    Music playing from my laptop into headphones so I don't get distracted - its very very very easy for my mind to wonder so I've done some reaserch and learn't a few tips from that website to keep focused.

C:4
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do it in the library. It is nice and quiet. Or you can do it in the basement.... However, after 50 to 55 min. Take a break.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    Sounds like a packed schedule. Are you a student?

i whish i work full time as a network administrator, i had always worked full time while i was getting my degree, now i think getting those certs is a lil bit harder then going to school
    i have to study aleast 3-5 hrs a day i hardly have time to do things but u know everything pays off :D
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good