CCNP Home Lab ---- I'm Sorry Please Read!!!

Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
Ok, i'm tired of searching through all of the pages of suggestions. And yes, i hate starting new topics that have already been posted ( as well as opening a sentence with the word 'And' ).

Please someone give me a list of what equipment to buy for the CCNP for all 4 tests, i'm getting real discouraged real fast! Just a simple list is all i want.
i herd u leik mudkips lol

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll need 3-4 routers, 2 should be able to run IOS 12.4 (2611xm would work well) and SDM, the others would need to be 12.2 and later. You will need a frame switch (2520 would work here). You should have a couple switches, Possibly a 3560 (for the private VLAN stuff if you want or you can go with the 3550), a 2950 or 2924. If you want to stay on the cheap side you could use a couple 2950's/2924's and forget the 3550/3560 but you won't have any L3 switches and no switches that can do inter-vlan routing. Unless you're really good at memorizing screen shots you may need access to a 2006 WLC and some AP's but that would be expensive. You may want to pick up a couple nm-1v and a fxs vwic for doing some of the voip stuff.

It's a pretty big list of stuff, you should look into using dynamips and dynagen to save some money.

With all due respect you should do a little more reaserch into the topic and you can save some money, unless you're independantly wealthy then PM me :)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    yea, i think it's just the voip equipment that will kill me. hmmm so basically 4 routers, a 2950, a 3550. i can't belive i need that much stuff like a vwic. wow this is so expensive. mabye my company can help icon_confused.gif

but thanks for your help dtlok
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am really new to a lot of this networking terminology...

"2006 WLC and some AP"

What is that?

WLC = Wireless LAN Controller ?
    AP?
    Yes WLC = wireless LAN controller, and AP woud be access point, the CCNP expects you to know both of them and how to configure a network or lightweight AP's.
    can i mount a nm-1v in a 2610?
    Aquabat wrote:
    can i mount a nm-1v in a 2610?

Yes but you'll need a VWIC too
  • darkplayerdarkplayer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried looking into dynamips?? Best thing since slice bread :D
  • gairuhegairuhe Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dynamips Can do all NP or IE labs...hoho
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Close, but for the IE you still need access to 3560s. (I use rentals)
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
    i am calling shenanigans, people always talk about all the equipment you need for these tests, yes they do help. but a wlc???? that is just ridiculous, i think i can't make it through, the 3550 is definitly out, i can prolly borrow one from work, but there is no way people will buy a switch like that for $1000 + . hmmm, i read the dynamips forums, i can't really get them to work, i will tr again though, i guess. i would really rather buy my own stuff, i hate simulators, and i would just rather have the router or switch in front of me, and do the cabling myself.

when you download IOS software from cisco.com with your cco, are you charged for a license?? or is the company that my cco is from charged??? i wanna dl some for personal use but i don't wanna get my company charged for anything
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    So the lab is getting expensive bry?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'm in the same boat.. i own my lab.. some of the gear isn't new but most of it but does what i need it to do.. if you have an opportunity to borrow pieces from work do it. i still prefer having the gear at hand that i can touch.. as hardware/software "issues" make it even more of an learning experience like which wics will and won't work.. unfortunately this setup can cost you a bit but the up side you can always sell it icon_wink.gif

as for the other $$$$ peices a sim or rack rental is a good idea just for that test
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I feel you about the $$$ I can't seem to get my hands on a mls for bcmsn study, so I'm just going to rent some rack time to practice the L3 stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    yea i can't do rack time, i need to have the equipment in front of me or else i jsut can't work for some reason.

Well Joe, not too expensive, i mean it's just a long process of finding stuff, lately i have to buy the rackmounts, router, and dte/dce calbe seperate, or the db/smart serial cable seperatly, so i have to buy 3 different things seperatly which is a pain in the A$$

CISCOKITS.COM IS THE BIGGEST RIPOFF IN THE WORLD. And i love how they tsill sell 1900's and claim that you can use them on your tests. such a joke..... icon_mad.gif
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    I have just spent close to $1000 buying routers for the BSCI.... i got two 1721 running 12.4 IOS for about 200 which WIC-1Ts and two 2610s running 12.3 IOS for $200 Each which both have WIC-2Ts.

haven't got any switches yet but since BSCI is mostly routing i can wait.... but yea its going to be expensive...

(p.s Australian $)
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
    that for 1k?? ouch, i have a 2610, 2612, 2501, 2501, 2501, 2514, 2505, 2912, 2950. but there 2 1600's are running 12.3, no 12.4
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Aquabat wrote:
    that for 1k?? ouch, i have a 2610, 2612, 2501, 2501, 2501, 2514, 2505, 2912, 2950. but there 2 1600's are running 12.3, no 12.4
    yeah i've got a 3620 with NM-4a/s and NM-1E2W, a 2620 with 2 WIC-1Ts, a 2520, 1 2509-RJ 2 2501s, 2 2503s, a 2514, 1 2950-12, 3 2924s, and 1900 with more than enough serial cables, transceivers, IOS's, books (a old set of CCNP books came with a lot of 5 routers i bought), console cables, etc and i don't think i've gone much over a grand :-d

i need a 3640 though, since i've got (afaik) the "best" IOS (12.4) (afaik) for it..
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685