Starting my CCNP...

jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but have been here on many occasions to pick up advice and read the topics. These forums have helped me to obtain my CCNA and I thank you for that! This is why I have registered and want to offer any help I can to future CCNA's.

This question has probably been posted before and my apologies if it has, but I'm looking on advice on how to tackle the 4 CCNP exams. I know I will need to pick up some hardware (advice here would be golden) and some new study books. My question is basically this, will the Self Study books and a few router and switches be enough to get through the 4 exams? I plan on getting the Cisco Press books for CCNP which I have used for CCNA in addition with the Sybex books(is Sybex good for CCNP?). Basically, besides some hands on with the routers and switches, what other material will I need? Thanks again in advance for your help!

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a few threads here on the equipment required, how to use Dynamips to reduce the number of routers required and so on. As for the Cisco Press books, I find that you need to supplement them with reading from other sources (such as the Doc CD on Cisco's website.) The more hands on practice you can get in the better.

Good luck on your journey.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    what about the ccnp video mentor by kevin wallace, can anyone review this??????
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    dtlokee wrote:
    There are a few threads here on the equipment required, how to use Dynamips to reduce the number of routers required and so on. As for the Cisco Press books, I find that you need to supplement them with reading from other sources (such as the Doc CD on Cisco's website.) The more hands on practice you can get in the better.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks alot for the support! I will do a search and see what I can come up with for equipment. The cisco site I could not believe, actually had alot of great info when I was preparing for CCNA so no doubt it would as good for CCNP as well.

Any advice on good books to supplement the Cisco Press books?
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You may want to check out Chris Bryants Packages.
    I myself have not tried it yet but several ppl here have said that it is very good.

http://thebryantadvantage.com/CCNPTrainingStore.htm
  • jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    LOkrasa wrote:
    You may want to check out Chris Bryants Packages.
    I myself have not tried it yet but several ppl here have said that it is very good.

http://thebryantadvantage.com/CCNPTrainingStore.htm

I've heard pretty much the same thing, but have never really considered it. I guess I will look more closely at it now.