Options

HELP!!! Group policy editor error...

KejanardKejanard Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey;

I'm running server 2003 standard edition in my lab as the dc. Last week I decided to upgrade to service pack two, so I did, no problems. About two days later I got an update for the group policy editor update for SP1 I didnt think much of it so I accepted the update. It worked fine I was browsing this new interface, thinking it was kool. However, short after that whenever I try to open it I get this error " Failed to open the Group policy object. you may not have approppriate rights."

Details:
Windows cannot find the network path. Very that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your system administrator.

I uninstalled the update but still have the error any idea on how to fix it.
Kejanard
www.kejanard.net

"All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire." -Aristotle

Comments

• Options
    KejanardKejanard Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey;

Problem Solved. Kinda

Remedy:

After reading various knowledge base articles on how to fix it using ADSI abd the DACLs utility on how to fix this permission issue, which all proved futile for me. I decide to take out the big guns and reformat. Bang!! the problem is solved even though I wont be able to do that in a production environment.

Becareful when installing SP2 in production environments on Server 2003.

Peace!!
    Kejanard
    www.kejanard.net

"All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire." -Aristotle
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kejanard wrote:
    Becareful when installing SP2 in production environments on Server 2003.

Peace!!

Always good advice before you do anything in a production environment. Although with regard to W2K3 SP2 I installed it on almost 30 production servers with no post-install problems. I did have some issues getting it to install on a couple, but those were worked out in due time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've installed SP2 on tons of production servers at several different clients (which means different infrastructures) and no issues so far. And yes, testing is always good, but let's face it, I almost guarantee most people's test is by installing it. If something doesn't work, it gets uninstalled. I would start out by testing it out in a test lab (always good to have one) and if you don't, use P2V (Physical to Virtual) and test the SP in a VM. If that's not possible, install the SP2 first on your least utilized/important server first.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks