Volume Shadow Copies question-PASSED!

masterkmasterk Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, can i ask a quick question?

Well, im going to anyway :P

I know that by default is VSC is enabled on a volume it will by default create copies at 7am and 12pm on Weekdays.

I am confused in two ways:

1. Am i right in thinking that the previous version from the last time shadow copies ran for a particular file will only appear if the file had changed since the last time it ran? Does VSC recognise it hasnt changed and doesnt bother copying it?

2. If a user changes a file will the old version automatically be added to the Previous Versions tab? A lot of documentation i have read seems to skate around this and not give a straight answer.

3. If you go to the properties of a shared folder rather than a file in it, will you still see the previous versions tab and can you do anything different?

Cheers guys, my lab PC's are at work so cant test this myself.

Passed the 70-290 exam today with a 928. Thanks for everything guys!:)

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    masterk wrote:
    1. Am i right in thinking that the previous version from the last time shadow copies ran for a particular file will only appear if the file had changed since the last time it ran? Does VSC recognise it hasnt changed and doesnt bother copying it?
    Correct. You can verify this easily by creating a file, then don't do anything with it. A week later check for previous versions of it and there are none.

masterk wrote:
    2. If a user changes a file will the old version automatically be added to the Previous Versions tab? A lot of documentation i have read seems to skate around this and not give a straight answer.
    If you mean will VSC save a copy of the file in it's format before it changed, well not really since it doesn't save the "whole" file every time. Additionally, it depends on when the user made the change vs. when the next shadow copy is scheduled to be made. It doesn't "save" anything when the changes are made, it saves changes to the file as it is when shadow copy runs IF there have been changes since the last shadow copy was run.

masterk wrote:
    3. If you go to the properties of a shared folder rather than a file in it, will you still see the previous versions tab and can you do anything different?
    Yes you can see the previous versions tab, and you can see all the files in it as well.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • masterkmasterk Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks sprkmrk, i think i understand it.

Luckily they didnt go into heavy detail on VSS!

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    masterk wrote:
    Thanks sprkmrk, i think i understand it.

Luckily they didnt go into heavy detail on VSS!

928 and you were worried? icon_lol.gif congrats on your pass!!! this one is next on the to-do list for me I think
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • masterkmasterk Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers guys, i think the practice exams are the resource i find most useful, especially when done the day before the exam.
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations! :D
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."