College

Myrdyn98Myrdyn98 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is a degree from an online college good or is it like the ugly step sister of traditional college? I'm looking for a good way to gain a quality degree and not kill myself working full time and going to school.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on the school I would think. If you prefer the traditional college name but the convenience of online learning there are some traditional public and private universities that now offer degrees via online distance learning.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    This is down to peoples preception but regardless of what they think ounce for ounce online, trad & self-study degrees are all on par. However one thing you have to watch out for are the degree mills/diploma mills, these are "Universities" or "colleges" that award degrees, diploma's and/or certificates that aren't worth the paper their printed on.

See here.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i've taken online classes at a traditional college and i its nice for the simple classes but i don't think something more advanced would work out well (atleast for me).
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Myrdyn98Myrdyn98 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone got an sugestions on colleges to look into for online degrees? I live in North Carolina if that bears any prevailence. Im guessing most accredited online colleges are good.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think any degree would help you out. Some places require a degree of some sorts even to get an interview. I still feel that experience in IT is better to have than any degree or cert. Good luck!
  • Myrdyn98Myrdyn98 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was poking around the WGU site and suddenly a java chat pops open. Talked to a rep over java for a bit. I just found that pretty neat and thought I would share my experience.