Time for 290...

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

Its time I start studying for this exam. I have about 3 years hands on experience with server 2003 environment at work. I have all the training materials I need except for my books. I bought a server 2003 book thinking it was a XP book back in late 2004 (Thompson book "Managing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment, Enhanced). I'm figuring some of the material is outdated, but would make a good secondary or third reference. Ive noticed that the 3 books that people seem to use here is the Sybex and MS press books for primary reference, and exam cram for secondary reference. Would it be wise to purchase all three books, or is two sufficient enough?

thanks in advance!
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• alharlandalharland Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I guess it depends on what you feel comfortable with. I also have about 3 years experiance working with Server 2003, and decided to us the MS Press book (which I found to be really good) and I also used CBT Nuggets and my second source. I also used various forums for additional reference, along with the MS site, and relied heavily on my vmWare lab that I setup.

When I felt I was ready for the test, I used the testing software which comes with the MS Press book and the Transcender practise test.

This was enough to help me pass with a score of 942 back in February, with about 2 months worth of study.

I hope this helps.

Adam.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alharland wrote:
    Hi, I guess it depends on what you feel comfortable with. I also have about 3 years experiance working with Server 2003, and decided to us the MS Press book (which I found to be really good) and I also used CBT Nuggets and my second source. I also used various forums for additional reference, along with the MS site, and relied heavily on my vmWare lab that I setup.

When I felt I was ready for the test, I used the testing software which comes with the MS Press book and the Transcender practise test.

This was enough to help me pass with a score of 942 back in February, with about 2 months worth of study.

I hope this helps.

Adam.

Thanks for the info. fortunately, I have everything you have recommended but my books, hence my question. The good thing is that from your suggestions, it seems my study material is sufficient enough (minus the books). Im leaning towards the MS Press book, but Ill probably go hog-wild and buy all three books. icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I recommend the Syngress book. I like the depth of the material.
    Unfortunately, you will need a supplement as it doesn't cover WSUS, MBSA, licensing server, and a few other odds and ends. But for the core material that will make up most (if not all) of your test, it's excellent.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks for all the suggestions. I hit up amazon and got the exam cram and MS press books (for now). Hopefully with my experience and other study material, it should do.