hi guys, I am new to CCNP and I need some advice.

jlau2001jlau2001 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys.

I am going to start my CCNP soon. Here are my questions.

1. I am working in a VOIP company, so I got 2 CISCO 1760 and 1 2500 routers. The problems is I don't have any cisco switch at all. So how many more cisco equipment need to get in order to start my own lab ??

2. Now I am going to pick one of the topcis to study, they are BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW, ONT and I saw I can be CCNP by just completing 3 exams (642-892 composite, ISCW, ONT) instead of 4 exams (BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW, ONT). I am not sure, should I complete CCNP with 3 exams or just 4 exams ??

3. Regarding to question 2, I am thinking I will start studying either BSCI or BCMSN. what kind of text books should I get. I got Cisco CCNP BSCI 642-901 study guide, I am not sure but I am having a feeling that this text is being obsolete.. because it is 2006. Is there a huge difference between Study guide 2006 and 2007 ?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For the BCMSN you are going to need at least three switches, preferably one L3 switch.

I would suggest taking the 4 exam method if you are new to the subjects unless money is a concern. The combined will save you $125.

I'm a big fan of Ciscopress books for study. You should always get more than one perspective on things though. The newest BSCI book is dated 2007, but I'm not sure how outdated the 2006 version is.

Good luck with your journey!!!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get by with what you currently have but it would be a stretch and would make learning a bit more difficult. I'd advise that you add at least one 2600 series router to your current setup and don't worry about any switches yet. You don't need any switches for the BSCI and that's the first place most people start when preparing for the CCNP exams.

networker050184-

You don't have a location specified in your profile, but are you located in or around new orleans? Your avatar made me ask :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Originally from New Orleans. I'm working out of NC now though. WHO DAT GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS!!!!!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Originally from New Orleans. I'm working out of NC now though. WHO DAT GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS!!!!!!

Hopefully nobody, hehe. I'll be at the Monday Night Football dome opener against the Titans, I'm sure it'll be the best game I've ever been to. I don't like to see people get hurt but I wouldn't mind seeing Will Smith invoke the Madden curse on Vince Young ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AHH come on now, give the ROOK a break.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • jlau2001jlau2001 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    guys,

I just found this website http://www.anthonypanda.com/index.php

has anyone ordered anything from this site ? is it still available ?

the price is pretty cheap and the most important thing is it is in HK. which is my hometown.

I am so glad when I saw the address.

Anyway, if anyone had ordered any product recently, please let me know so that I know this one is a trustworthy networking cable/parts provider.

Thanks
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Hi,

Yeah, I have ordered from him several times. Very good online merchant. Order away!
    alright, I think I am in luck. I asked my boss if he has any spare part for CISCO router and he actually said "YES".

He told me he has 2 spare DB60 to V.35 female cable, can I safety assume that his spare cables can be use for DCE ? so that I can connect 2 router with male and female DB60 to V.35 without any problems ?

Also he asked me what kind and how many cisco switch I needed for CCNP studies, any suggestion guys ?
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Yeah, actually I had the same problem at first when I tried to order through Ebay.

Just order from him directly on his website. Very cheap, including the shipping costs.
    jlau2001 wrote:
    alright, I think I am in luck. I asked my boss if he has any spare part for CISCO router and he actually said "YES".

He told me he has 2 spare DB60 to V.35 female cable, can I safety assume that his spare cables can be use for DCE ? so that I can connect 2 router with male and female DB60 to V.35 without any problems ?

Also he asked me what kind and how many cisco switch I needed for CCNP studies, any suggestion guys ?

A L3 switch would be really nice. A 3550 or a 3560 and also a couple 2950's would be the best to study on. From what I have been told you need no more than 3 switches to do the labs on STP, RSTP, PVST. Kinda hard to implememt some complex switching scenarios with only 2 switches.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes but have you seen the prices on 3550s and 3560s? ouch! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Yes they are pricey. But hey if your boss has some extras, then thats what I would shoot for. At the very least a couple 2924's.
  • happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    Yes they are pricey. But hey if your boss has some extras, then thats what I would shoot for. At the very least a couple 2924's.

Hey, do you guy's think that four routers would be enough to study for the BSCI exam? I know everybody say's you need three 2950's and a l3 switch for the BCMSN, but I am gonna take that next.
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
    What models and what IOS versions do you have? I would say that 4 might be enough as long as they had the right IOS and modules.

From what I have read, you will need an IOS that has SDM and all the routing protocols. May also need some IPv6 compatibility. Not sure if you need SDM for BSCI though.
  • happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    What models and what IOS versions do you have? I would say that 4 might be enough as long as they had the right IOS and modules.

From what I have read, you will need an IOS that has SDM and all the routing protocols. May also need some IPv6 compatibility. Not sure if you need SDM for BSCI though.

I have a 3600, 2621, and 2 2611xm's. I think most of them have the highest ios image that I can pull. I was thinking I might buy another 2500 series just for a frame-relay switch. But I dont really know for sure. *sigh*
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
    I think you should be good to go then. And ya you would be able to do a lot more with an extra router as a frame switch.
    alright, I am going to get those V.35 female cable tomorrow, I really hope they are going to working fine.

for the switch, we would like to get some cheap switch because we don';t have too much money to spare. any suggestion guys ?