Cisco 2900XL Series Switches

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
There doesn't seem to be much information about the 2908...I wonder why?

Are there any disadvantages to using a 2908 instead of 2912/2924 besides a lower port count? Are they basically the same otherwise?

{Added}
If you're thinking about buying a 2900XL instead of the 2950 Series to save money, check the following link. The last four switch in the table WILL NOT be good for your CCNA studies because it doesn't support Trunking, and they CAN NOT be upgraded...don't be fooled. Notice the 2924 is very confusing, 2924XL, 2924C-XL,2924XL-EN,2924XL-A, etc....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/releasesa4/eesoftconfig/mascovr.html
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i cant tell you the difference but the lower port count kinda limits you in that theres less trunk connections, less hosts, etc.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Well, it turns out that there is major difference between the 2908 and the 2924XL-EN....and I already paid for and received my 2908, I guess I can do some VLAN labs on it still. I'm looking into getting a 2924, is there anything wrong with the following sh ver?
    Switch#show version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 17:35 by ayounes

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301F3C

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 8 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"

cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOC0508Z006, with hardware revision 0x01

Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

Cluster command switch capable

Cluster member switch capable

24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:04:28:CB:BF:80

Motherboard assembly number: 73-3382-08

Power supply part number: 34-0834-01

Motherboard serial number: FOC0507055T

Power supply serial number: PHI050303TP

Model revision number: N0

Motherboard revision number: C0

Model number: WS-C2924-XL-EN

System serial number: FOC0508Z006

Configuration register is 0xF

Switch#
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats fine you can upgrade it to the last code available for those.. however remember the XL limitations and configuration differences

icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote:
    remember the XL limitations and configuration differences

icon_wink.gif

icon_eek.gif ....I'm just starting to "switch" to learning about the catalyst series...(umm...I think I am too tired, disregard that if you would)

Can you quickly go over the differences? Is my understanding of the following correct:
    2908/2916 -big no no, can't upgrade pass 11.2 (I dont know why it matters though, it seem to still support vlans and trunking?)

2912/2924XL -EN series -okay, but can't do QoS

2950 -ideal for CCNA, but I can't seem to find one for anything less than 200 + shipping to Canada, most cheaper ones will only ship in US, or ships UPS standard which will cost me another arm and 3 legs with their "brokerage fees"
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry I've not gotten around to answering your pm, it keep slipping my mind and I've not had time.

Fortunately the 2908 was a stepping stone for cisco in their new 2900 series catalyst switches, during this time period cisco was deploying 10/100TX ports on switches. This was basically one of the first "nicer" switches need i say for that time period where the darkness loomed between the 10baset 1900 series catalyst with 2 100tx uplinks and the transistion of the 100tx to the desktop.

Prior to this time period this switch was also used as a backbone l2 switch or a distro switch connecting 3x 1900 series catalyst in full redundancy , (2 100tx per 1900, each to a seperate 290icon_cool.gif

Unfortunately this switch does not support vlan trunking (according to cisco) ive never used this model so i cannot garuentee that, as well as cisco reports that IOS 11.2(icon_cool.gifSA5 -A is the latest IOS that can be ran on this switch due to hardware limitations.

So to summarize this up into a wonderful contigious network, you bought a great door stopper.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    thats fine you can upgrade it to the last code available for those.. however remember the XL limitations and configuration differences

icon_wink.gif

oops i was looking at the 2900xl ver and not the 2908 icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote:
    keenon wrote:

icon_wink.gif

oops i was looking at the 2900xl ver and not the 2908 icon_wink.gif

hmm, I'm confused now.

I ALREADY bought the 2908 and it is running 11.2, I'm sort of regretting it too, would you say it's as useless as the 1900 series?

The sh ver is for a WS-C2924-XL-EN that I am looking into buying, is it an okay purchase for 100 with shipping?
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The one your looking at "the 2924XL-EN" is fine you can download the latest IOS for it via cisco website free of charge.

The 2908 on the other had have alot of limitations, you should google the switch and im sure you'll find several comparision charts :D
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    Cool, thanks guys for your help. bowing.gif

I'm hoping to go over OSPF and frame relay in the next couple of days, I booked my INTRO for this Saturday, so I should review subnetting and L2 Switching once again too..

keep in touch.
    Please check the link in the original post for details about switches in the 2900XL series. Hopefully others will not be in a similar situation as me.

Cheers.