NETWORK CONNECTION..

manuel77manuel77 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys :D
Question?
Let's say I have a DSL service with a speedstream modem ( the ones that sbcglobal gives you) can I actually connect the RJ45 connector to a switch and share that dsl line.

Basically, using the speestream as the router.

Comments

• halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I don't think you can because that modem isn't designed to hand out more than one IP, or atleast most service providers are setup that way. Just go buy a small router with a built in 3-5 port switch and attach it to the modem and then it will work fine. I use BellSouth as my DSL and I have 3 computers hooked up to a little D-Link router.

I love how companies like BellSouth sell a "networking" package for an extra $10 that allow you to hook more than one computer up since it's not "possible" with the normal setup.
  • manuel77manuel77 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that 411....
    Do you know of any cheap router out there?
    I checked CDW and they are expensive.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use to have bellsouth as my ISP. I also had a USB Alcatel Speedtouch modem for DSL that I wanted to share between 2 machiness. I used a crossover cable to connect the free NIC on my desktop to the laptops NIC, enabled ICS, and it was all good. I didn't need any additional hardware besides the $5.00 cable. Unless you're hooking up more than 2 machines I wouldn't bother with a hub or router.

I always check amazon and ebay 1st before I buy anything
  • halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    Here is the router I have used forever and it runs flawlessly:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=393268

What tahjzhuan was doing was using the USB portion of his DSL modem and then just connecting his 2 computers together. I use the Ethernet portion of my modem so I don't have a free NIC without adding a second one to my computer. I also have 3 machines at home and regularly bring my laptop from work home so I had to have more than 2 connections.

Which ever way works best for your setup at home and current budget will work fine.
    Hey!
    HALFLIFE 78 are you certain that by adding a switch to my dsl modem won't do the trick of sharing my connection??
    supposly I heard that if I do such connection I would have to leave my computer on so that the other pc could get the connection

I was thinking of adding a switch and set up the other pc with the same configuration as the 1st. I mean don't the switch BROADCAST EVERYTHNG THAT BRINGS IN.....
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    ok, quick question for you.. with your dsl line, do you have PPPOE? where you have to login with a Username and Password to get a connection?

if you do, then you will need a router to share multiple systems..

the reason you cant use a simple swtich and get other systems up is b/c only 1 system will be logging in at 1 time.. you dont want to login multiple times and try to pull mult ip's .. i know here at verizon.. if you do that, and security finds out. your account is suspened on the first offense..

now, the next scenario, if you dont login and simpley do DHCP, then your ok.. you can connect a swtich and pull more than 1 ip.. agian, this is prob against TOS and if security find out or cares,. etc etc...

let me know..
  • voldarvoldar Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have a computer with W2000 Server - you already have the routing service, all you have to do is to get a second NIC, plug it into the computer, connect one NIC to the modem and the other to your LAN, and start the RRAS service on the server, and set it up as a simple router. That's it. And then, assign the internal address of the server-router as gateway to all other computers. Good luck!
    tokhss
    I am running under PPPoe. Therefor I must get a router. I was trying to avoid spending that much $$$anyhow....Thanks fot he 411 guys.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    manuel: if u want to share ur dsl line with other computers in your house; you can always connect your computer and the rest to one hub and simply implement connection sharing. all other computers will use your computer as a gateway for the WAN icon_wink.gif

I use that method in my house.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.